WTF is Up With Argon?

So your saying it was a mistake to buy an extended warranty on my rented bottle?!

So your saying it was a mistake to buy an extended warranty on my rented bottle?!
I Have had Problems with 1 acetylene bottle and 2 argon/co2 bottles over the years that had either a faulty valve or damaged threads at the hose connections. I simply returned their damaged bottle to in this case my supplier (who owns it) and was given a replacement bottle free of charge. To be honest iv'e never heard of a rental bottle warranty. If you rent a bottle and there's a problem you exchange it, or so I thought. So what does a warranty actually cover on a rental bottle and why ?

In follow up- I went to Arc 3 today and exchanged the Airgas Ar cylinder for a full 150 CF Arc3 cylinder. $39 including the hazmat fee. I thought they might give me a hard time about putting it in my SUV. The only rule is they can't do it. You have to do that. Such an easy transaction. Took 15 min tops.
I also learned that the threads that hold the safety cap on the cylinder are part of the neck ring, not the tank. That is why you don't lift from there. If the ring is not on correctly the tank will drop out of it.

What is hard to tell from that video is that the rotating device that puts the ring on also peens the top edge of the tank neck so it expands inside the ring and locks in in place. My tank has noticeable hammer marks and seems to have been peened manually.

I also learned that the threads that hold the safety cap on the cylinder are part of the neck ring, not the tank. That is why you don't lift from there. If the ring is not on correctly the tank will drop out of it.
Absolutely! Not only that, but caps and threads can get worn to the point that if you pick up the bottle using the cap, it can pop right off, then you wind up dropped a bottle with an exposed valve.

Back