You Tube ad blockers

Garage Dog

Registered
Registered
A few months ago there was a thread on Y/T ad blockers. I just looked up the thread and no one seemed to have a solution that worked, at least on Safari. Rather than bring back an old thread I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has found an ad blocker that worked on Y/T.

TIA

I use brave as my browser. Has built in ad block.

YouTube (google) has been cracking down Ad blocking plugins, by intentionally slowly down and making the user experience worse. In the hopes you will remove your ad blocker.

What I have seen lately is some YT! pop-up with a countdown like "You have 2 more videos to disable ad-block".
So far I have hit the "X" in the top right corner and ignored them..... and I'm several videos past that.

My attitude is that they think their videos are more useful than they actually are to me.
I'd sooner quit the site than watch ads!
No content I have ever seen there is worth that price to me.

I believe safari is some apple thing, I'm running win7 and Firefox 112 with Ad-Block Plus.

Brian

Posted then saw the posters date DOH!

Another vote for Brave browser. I haven't seen a YT ad since I made it my default. No other ad-blocking software. Sometimes I forget and open YT in Firefox or Chrome, and I'm immediately reminded why I like Brave.

Brave, in case you don't know, is a cousin of sorts to Chrome, based on "Chromium", whatever that is. (Open-source, I think.) It has a bunch of features that I turned off, I just want a simple web browser. Not too heinous to configure though, I just go into Settings and uncheck a bunch of boxes.

Their main schtick is being more security and privacy-oriented than some other browsers. Chrome for example is selling my eyeballs to advertizers all the time. Brave claims not to do that, I think, but I really don't know what browsers are doing under the hood or behind my back.

I use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine (again, more privacy-oriented). But I have to admit it's not as good as Google for some searches, so I switch to Google now and then when DDG doesn't seem to be finding what I want. I just know that with Google, anything I type in will come back to me as ads for that thing, which I find a bit creepy.

I use "uBlock Origin" (not to be confused with "uBlock") on Firefox. Seems to make the video take a few seconds longer to load, but is otherwise fine.

GsT

Posted then saw the posters date DOH!
Doh! Wonder why the forum software showed this on my feed indicating new content when the most recent post was years ago?

Back