• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

1 or 3 phase bench grinder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Redmech

So I’ve recently purchased a larger 3 phase Do All milling machine. I will be using a rotary phase converter to power it. My question, I am looking at Palmgren 8” bench grinders. They come in single or three phase.

Since I will have a rotary phase converter already there for the mill, which grinder should I buy? Will the three phase grinder have advantages over the single? I’ve heard it’s a smoother more robust power,

Thanks for the communities thoughts and suggestions on this.

Ross,

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
If your not using the mill are you going to want to start the phase converter every time you use the grinder?

Greg

Cooter Brown

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You don't need a phase converter I wire all my machines like the guy in this video....

ezduzit

Active User
An 8" bench grinder neither requires nor benefits from 3-phase power. Why would you want to have to start your converter simply to run a small bench grinder?

Consider only single phase.

FOMOGO

Active User
Single phase/240V would be the way I would do it. Like Greg said, it would be inconvenient to have to start your RPC everytime you want to use your grinder, and SP 240 would be plenty of power. Mike

Redmech

Single phase seems to make the most sense. Just wondering if there were any advantages to the three phase. I’d guess by the time I power up my converter and then turn on the grinder I’m using even more electricity than just a single phase grinder. I’d imagine both grinders have the same HP,

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
Three phase motors don't have starting caps or centrifugal switches. Unless they are abused the only parts that fail are bearings. So unless you need to move the grinder around to places where you don't have 3 phase or don't want to run your RPC, a 3 phase would be my choice. Should you someday decide you want variable speed a 3 phase motor would allow you to add a VFD for speed control.

Redmech

Thank you, this is information I didn’t know, very valid points. Sure appreciate it.
Three phase motors don't have starting caps or centrifugal switches. Unless they are abused the only parts that fail are bearings. So unless you need to move the grinder around to places where you don't have 3 phase or don't want to run your RPC, a 3 phase would be my choice. Should you someday decide you want variable speed a 3 phase motor would allow you to add a VFD for speed control.

randyjaco

Active User
The benefits of 3 phase on a bench grinder are minimal, but I would not pay any more for one than an equivalent single phase. When it comes time to sell it, it's going to be a tough sell to get rid of the 3 phase , but the single phase will be easy to sell. I would pay more attention to the quality of the machine, especially the tool rests.
Randy

[6]
[5] [7]