10” chuck on PM-1340GT?

cday2021

Registered
Registered
Has anyone tried a 10” chuck on the PM-1340GT? If so, what have you tried and how is the stability?

The problem with larger chucks on lathes is that the jaws sticking out of the chuck with larger work will eventually be in the way of the bed ways. That is no problem when machining smaller diameter parts, and you do get a bigger area to mount work to, but with larger parts the jaws will hit the bed ways. Small chucks give different tradeoffs. The chucks that come with lathes are typically the "Goldilocks" size -- not too big and not too small for varied work.

A 10" chuck on a 13" lathe would seem huge to me. I would hate to lift that dang thing up to, and off, the lathe.

The problem with larger chucks on lathes is that the jaws sticking out of the chuck with larger work will eventually be in the way of the bed ways. That is no problem when machining smaller diameter parts, and you do get a bigger area to mount work to, but with larger parts the jaws will hit the bed ways. Small chucks give different tradeoffs. The chucks that come with lathes are typically the "Goldilocks" size -- not too big and not too small for varied work.
I have about 10 rounds of 8.5” diameter 4” long aluminum round stock I want to chuck up, so I think the jaws would remain inside the 10” diameter.

It would fit like a saddle on a sow--- more appropriate would be a 6 or 8".

My PB is 8 1/4" and it works really well. It's been the primary chuck since I set up the lathe. I think it's plenty big for this lathe, but that's just me.

Get an 8" chuck with 2 piece jaws. The 8" chuck already hits the cross slide, you would be able to chuck 8 1/2, but there is still jaw stick out. I went out and flipped my 2 piece 6" and it just made it to 8".

I have about 10 rounds of 8.5” diameter 4” long aluminum round stock I want to chuck up, so I think the jaws would remain inside the 10” diameter.
It depends on which way the jaws are mounted. If you are OK with just mounting the parts on the short steps of the jaws, (edit:) 'instead' of with the work resting against the face of the chuck, then go with it, though it can get very dangerous. With the large diameter part resting against the chuck face, you will have long threaded shanks sticking out of the chuck, poorly supported as well as dangerous. It will actually decrease the size able to be mounted compared to the "Goldilocks" size chuck. The chucks that come with new lathes are usually chosen by the maker to give the widest possible range of mounting sizes in the standard chuck configuration.

Last edited:
Back