1030V rpm range shudder.

danm2116

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I am just a beginner on a metal lathe and have a question about a shudder in a 1030V Precision Mathews lathe. It starts at 525rpm to 625rpm then smooths out to its maximum rpm. I have leveled the lathe (no twist) and checked run out at the chuck and it's 1.5 thousandths. The lathe is mounted on a well-supported wood bench attached to shop wall. Any idea why this is occurring? Thank you.

Hello all. I am just a beginner on a metal lathe and have a question about a shudder in a 1030V Precision Mathews lathe. It starts at 525rpm to 625rpm then smooths out to its maximum rpm. I have leveled the lathe (no twist) and checked run out at the chuck and it's 1.5 thousandths. The lathe is mounted on a well-supported wood bench attached to shop wall. Any idea why this is occurring? Thank you.
this was just an issue with someone else. You have a VFD issue. PM directed the other owner to make some changes in the settings.

I think it's a different video- that one is for a mill
it's this one: (fix at post #100)

***Resolved*** NEW PM-1440HVT-2 Lathe (PM fixed it)​

Not sure if the 1030v has a vfd
The early machines had a DC brush motor, later ones may be brushless

Last edited:
I think it's a different video- that one is for a mill
it's this one: (fix at post #100)

***Resolved*** NEW PM-1440HVT-2 Lathe (PM fixed it)​

I did not mention but when running through the RPM's it is jaws empty and closed. Not under workload.

I had the same problem when I bought my lathe about 20 some years ago
Its a 12x37 asian lathe brand new
Just avoided the speed at which it occured(tried leveling and bolting it to the floor first)
Just bought a different chuck mounted it on the same backplate it fit with no machining
runs smooth no shimmy at any speed
dont know if this applies but might be worth looking into

Lathe uses a DC drive, so no VFD. If it does not occur with the chuck removed then it is a chuck balance issue. Almost any variable speed machine will have a resonant point and vibration will be less below and above that point. Problem with the PM-1440HVT-2 Lathe VFD is an isolated incident most likely because someone programmed the VFD incorrectly, I have worked with numerous other versions of that lathe with Yaskawa VFD and never saw an issue. Only time was when the basic motor parameters were incorrect and also the sutotuning was not done.

I will take the chuck off and try it. I have always avoided that rpm range ant it works fine. What make of aftermarket chuck would be the choice to replace the factory chuck to aluminate the shudder? This lathe is about 4 years old.

What is a VFD?

Back