1030V rpm range shudder.

I will take the chuck off and try it. I have always avoided that rpm range ant it works fine. What make of aftermarket chuck would be the choice to replace the factory chuck to aluminate the shudder? This lathe is about 4 years old.

What is a VFD?
I bought a sanou lathe chuck which eliminated the shimmy
if you find it is the chuck there are ways to balance it search the web I never tried it myself
vfd is variable frequency drive which gives motor speed control (variable speed )

It may be a ’system’ resonance. If possible, put something heavy on your workbench (eg, a couple 40 lb bags of sand, or salt or bird seed or whatever) and see if the speed at which the shaking starts is lower. If yes, you may need to make your bench stiffer to raise the natural frequency outside the operating range of the lather.

Thank you very much for your help. I will do a search to see about correcting the factory chuck.

Removed the factory chuck and the shudder was 99% gone. Seemed to feel just a hint at that speed spot. Will do Smedley's suggestion for sure.
I checked on the SAN OU chucks,( Amazon) and they are reasonably priced. I wander what the fit/finish is like.

It may be a ’system’ resonance. If possible, put something heavy on your workbench (eg, a couple 40 lb bags of sand, or salt or bird seed or whatever) and see if the speed at which the shaking starts is lower. If yes, you may need to make your bench stiffer to raise the natural frequency outside the operating range of the lather.
Thank you. I have lead shot bags to try your suggestion.

Removed the factory chuck and the shudder was 99% gone. Seemed to feel just a hint at that speed spot. Will do Smedley's suggestion for sure.
I checked on the SAN OU chucks,( Amazon) and they are reasonably priced. I wander what the fit/finish is like.
I will take the chuck off and try it. I have always avoided that rpm range ant it works fine. What make of aftermarket chuck would be the choice to replace the factory chuck to aluminate the shudder? This lathe is about 4 years old.

Don't get a new chuck.

Make some sort of simple spindle to hold the chuck off the machine and balance it.

You could maybe use a length of bar stock through the chuck and clamped in the chuck to roll on.

You should be able to make small rill divits in the back plate somware non critical to balance or add screws with extra weight perhaps.

Stu

example u tube vid :)

Stu

The chuck I purchased was good fit and finish
It is a 4 jaw self centering wanted to try something different
I machined a new backplate for the old chuck and the vibration is a lot less
Not worth it for me to try balancing it but as suggested might be worth your while

Back