10L Spindle: how tight is too tight?

Paul_NJ

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired an old 10 inch SB. I believe it is a 10L. My first "real" lathe. Bed Serial # 13090KAR8 / Model A / Nameplate : C167OR

I don’t know how long it sat idle, and the prior owner is long gone. The first thing I’ve done is to replace the flat leather drive belt, which was old and broken. Now, with the back gear engaged, the spindle turns fine when powered up. But with the back gear disengaged, and the bull pin inserted, the drive belt is either thrown off, or just slips on the drive pulley, the moment it is powered on. With a chuck installed I can turn the spindle, not with one finger, but by hand. Problem is that as a novice I don’t whether the spindle is too tight, or if the flat belt just needs more tension. If I grab the belt’s midpoint, I can get about 1 inch of play up and down. With a flat plate on the spindle, if I attach a spring scale to a bolt 3 ½" inches from the spindle centerline, at 12:00 position, pulling parallel to the floor it takes 10 lbs to initiate the spindle turning. But I have no idea whether that is normal! The flat stepped pulley is pretty shiny and polished . . should I roughen it up to help it grab?

I’ve added oil to the spindle oil cups over a period of days, and also loosened the spindle bearing cap screws a measured half turn, with no noticeable change in spindle looseness. I don’t want to do any irreparable damage by running it until I know whether this level of tightness is normal. Lacking experience I’m not confident enough to remove the spindle to investigate further.

I can't wait to try it out, but wish to be sure the spindle is functioning properly. And insight and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

20180404_140031s.jpg

20180331_190146.jpg

Look up how to keep your lathe in trim, by SouthBend, good book Don’t take off the spindle caps before the bearing expanders are loose .

Last edited:
C167=10K , 187=10L
Did you use spindle oil ? , ,0005-.001 lift test on a 10L spindle ,not sure on a 10k.

Lift test for the 10K is .0007 - .0010.

You will be ahead to get the book "A Guide To Renovating the South Bend Lathe, 9" Model A, B& C, Plus Model 10K" by Ilion Industrial Services. That book along with "How to Run A Lathe" by South Bend, will answer a lot of questions.
The proper oil for the spindle and the other locations should be used to make sure the oil gets where its needed.
When the bearings are set right and the right oil is used, you will be able to "palm" the chuck (use the flat of one hand) to spin it.

Back