110v VFD wiring ?

seanb

Registered
Registered
Im getting a 1HP VFD to power a Deckel GK21 pantograph. The motor on it is a 3ph 3/4 HP

I purchased this drive from automation direct

In the instructions it specifies to use 8 AWG wire for the input power?

Does that sound right?

8 guage wire can handle 40 amps. That seems like way overkill. The wire will not even fit in the terminals on the VFD.

Other similar size VFDs only draw 4-5 amps

I was going to go with a 10 AWG to be safe and a 30 amp breaker

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Gotta be a misprint- you can jumpstart Frankenstein with 6 gauge
!2 gauge would probably be fine for a short run like 6' or less- any longer use 10

Last edited:
The manual on the website states 8 awg for that drive, where did you see 6? The input for that drive while using constant torque is 18 amps, so you can’t use 12 awg, but 10 awg should be good.

Sorry I meant 8AWG but thanks for the input guys, I knew 8 was way overkill

The input current is indicated as 18A @120VAC, and they indicate a 25A fuse or a 50A circuit breaker, so the latter necessitates a heavier gauge wire pf used. A bit unusual because usually the breaker size is smaller than the fuse size. Input current protection is suppose to be a minimum of the rated VFD input current x 125% ~23A, there is also the factor of the overload current of a VFD output can be upwards of 150-200% for 1 minute. But at the end of the day a 30A 120V breaker with 10AWG wire is probably OK (not an electrician). Input rating is not a factor of what the motor size is connected to the VFD.

im going to wire it so i can switch to 220 if the 110V vfd doesnt work out i just wont energize the extra wire

Back