115/230 Volt Motor Wiring

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have just acquired an old 12 inch Delta Milwaukee disk sander.

20211221_084600.jpg

It doesn't have a plug on it, and the only thing I can get off the motor tag is where it is stamped '115 8.6' and '230 4.3'...

So... it is a dual-voltage motor... what would that be, about a 1 HP? I'm just guessing...

Also, with my limited electrical knowledge... I'm guessing that it is currently configured for 230v because my ohmmeter shows continuity between the white and black wires, but no continuity between either the white and green or the black and green... the green wire is connected to the motor case...

Would that be correct? Or, how else would I determine how it is configured?

Thanks- Bear

Not a motor expert, but: green shouldn't have any current (continuity) between other wires as it is the frame ground. A picture of the wires would be helpful, but to me it sounds like you haven't gotten to the junction box that would be rewired to switch voltages.

No, I haven't... I'll have to take the entire machine apart to get that cover off... it's behind the disk...

-Bear

Now that I think about it, I think I've got that wrong... that wouldn't tell me what voltage it's wired for... either 115 or 230 would show continuity between the black and white, correct?

-Bear

Now that I think about it, I think I've got that wrong... that wouldn't tell me what voltage it's wired for... either 115 or 230 would show continuity between the black and white, correct?

-Bear
Correct.

Ok...

20211221_105720.jpg

There is 5 terminals... from bottom to top, they are marked '0 line, 1, 2, 3, and 4 line'

1 and 2 are connected with a jumper... 3 and 4 are connected with a jumper...

There is one wire connected to '0 line'... one wire connected to 2, and 2 wires connected to '4 line'...

Does that help?

-Bear

I have the same unit, with a newer 1hp Baldor motor on it that I picked up at a pawn shop for $100. Running it on 220. It is a real metal eater (though designed for wood), has become one of my go to tools for fast metal removal, and shaping. Still using the pile of wood sanding discs that came with it. It doesn't seem to notice it isn't wood that it is devouring, but I imagine one of the blue ceramic discs would be even better. Mike

There are almost as many ways to wire 120/240 volt motors as there are manufacturers of motors. In essence, there are two run windings. If they are in parallel, it is 120. If they are series, it is 240. The start winding is often (but not always) a 120 volt winding that is connected to the common point of the run windings.

To start, make a good drawing of how it is connected. Mark everything. . . Then disassemble all the jumpers and start looking at not just continuity but relative resistance. It will be low, probably below 20 ohms per. From that you can get a pretty good idea how it is wired. Then work out the connection diagram.

Back