12" Republic Lathe Improvement

David

Active User
Registered
The following photos were taken on a lathe project that I recently finished. The lathe is a 12" x 40" Republic Lathe which is an early 1970's model. From what I was told, it was made in Spain though not real sure. It was sold through a company in California which is now Republic Lagun.

The lathe came with a collet closer, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, taper attachment and center rest. The previous owner had basically painted the whole machine one color with no masking off of the shiney parts.

camera clean 053.jpg

So after a thorough cleaning the machine was dismanteled, and preped for painting. A lot of masking tape was used to keep the now shiney stuff shiney! I found a couple of these machines on the internet with an original 2-tone paint job. So I tried to match as close as possible, but I missed the actual color some.

camera clean 103.jpg
camera clean 083.jpg
camera clean 104.jpg

Here is the lathe after the painting and reassembly. Only a few minor things are left to do.

camera clean 118.jpg

I installed a new compound slide feed screw and nut, modified the cross slide feed screw to accept a new screw purchased from McMaster Carr and installed a new compound nut as well. Installed new way wipers. The original motor checked out good so I installed new bearings and it runs fine.

I did not take many photos because I did not think to take many photos!! I am still looking for better thread and feed chart plates to reinstall. Overall, I think it will be a good lathe to keep around.:phew:

David

camera clean 053.jpg camera clean 103.jpg camera clean 083.jpg camera clean 104.jpg camera clean 118.jpg camera clean 117.jpg

Thank you Etard. I thought the two-tone would look better than the standard gray.

David

.......... I thought the two-tone would look better than the standard gray.

David

It does, excellent job. I wish I had a lathe like that in my shop!

M

Back