1236T - Up and Running, First chips

cobraJack

Registered
Registered
My 1236T lathe arrived in mid December (ordered in June) in great shape. After opening the crate it was determined that the panel to connect the two stands was not in the crate, a quick call to Charlie had it being shipped. Yea for GREAT customer service.
It took till last week to arrange time for a friend to bring his engine hoist over to get it on the stands. Had time to start cleaning on the pallet. got power cord wired.
BTW- I had ordered a tri-power BX25 belt in advance based on other posts regarding poor quality of supplied belt. However, the BX25 I received was substantially bigger than the supplied belt and was too big to tighten on the pulleys. Will order a BX24 (unless someone here has better info). Running with original for now.
Love this machine!
- Tapped feet holes to 1/2-13. Existing is 12 tpi I think so it is good fit for industrial machine leveling feet.
- Disassembled the supplied chuck. It is rough. The rear gear teeth are cast and not cut. Kind of "crunchy" when turning. Photo shows after I sanded teeth and greased it. Also ran sanding block thru the scroll groove and greased. Maybe helped a little. Don't have definitive run out on it yet. First glance it may be in 4-6 thou out.
- Top of compound must have been surface ground after the t-nut on 4-way was installed. Fooled me for a bit. It appeared to not be a t-nut. Could not see the surface until close look. Just loosen the set screws in the top of the t-nut and tap with a wood block and it will drive out.
- Made my T-nut for QCTP.
- Turned a piece of aluminum-bronze I had.
- Turn new handle for the rotation switch/handle.

Made first chips. Made new knob for the on/off rotation switch lever.

ONWARD and UPWARD. Another Happy Camper!

(P.S. - Please ignore the surrounding mess. Organization in progress. :) )

JT

20221215_154220.jpg
20221216_104523.jpg
20221217_122611.jpg
20221226_123631.jpg
20221228_174052.jpg
20230102_142557.jpg
20230107_103034.jpg
20230108_132013.jpg
20230108_162933.jpg
20230108_162939.jpg

Cool! I just got your lathe's little brother (1130v) but man the shipping crate couldn't have been more different. Mine came in a thin plywood crate/box which was pretty easy to take apart. Yours looks like somebody was building a serious privacy fence! ;)
With the stand, you're entire unit is probably twice what mine weighs, but still....!

Enjoy the new tool.

Enjoy your new lathe! I have a 1236T and love it. The 3 jaw that came with mine was out about 0.007” and after some use is now 0.002”. I like the 4 jaw I got from PM, and also bought the 5C and ER40 chucks over the past couple years.

Enjoy your new lathe! I have a 1236T and love it. The 3 jaw that came with mine was out about 0.007” and after some use is now 0.002”. I like the 4 jaw I got from PM, and also bought the 5C and ER40 chucks over the past couple years.
What drive belt are you using? I'd read on the 1340T folks use the BX25 but is way too long for mine. Ordering the BX24

Also, Does your tailstock eject a chuck or dead center before retracting to zero? Mine is almost an inch (on gradations/markings while retacting and starting to eject the chuck.

What drive belt are you using? I'd read on the 1340T folks use the BX25 but is way too long for mine. Ordering the BX24
I’m still using the stock belt, but have a BX24 on hand for when I get around to switching it. I keep my belt on the high speed groove and use my VFD to get half speed and the BX25 is too long for that. I think some of the guys using the BX25 belt flipped the motor sheave to get a different speed range for use with their VFDs.

Also, Does your tailstock eject a chuck or dead center before retracting to zero? Mine is almost an inch (on gradations/markings while retacting and starting to eject the chuck.
Yes, it ejects my drill chuck with a tang on the end at about 20mm and the live centers are closer to 10mm.

I’m still using the stock belt, but have a BX24 on hand for when I get around to switching it. I keep my belt on the high speed groove and use my VFD to get half speed and the BX25 is too long for that. I think some of the guys using the BX25 belt flipped the motor sheave to get a different speed range for use with their VFDs.
Makes sense. Thanks

Back