12VDC Power Supply?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Before I even plug this in - what is it? At first glance I thought 'DC Power Supply', now I'm not so sure.
I saw 'D-C' on the meter, then realized that the meter is 'milliamperes' and then I studied the read of the unit.
Then I decided it was best to take some picts and post asking those of you who are more learned about this stuff.
Thanks for taking the time to look it over...

0405201215_Rc.jpg...0405201215b__Rc.jpg

That's a bench power supply for testing and powering electronics. It lets you adjust short-circuit current so you don't burn anything out. These power supplies don't make good battery chargers or plating supplies. As a tinkerer, I wouldn't be without one on the work bench.

Looks like a really flexible high voltage DC supply. 0-425V 0-50mA. Probably originally used for tube circuits.

Definitely a power supply for tube equipment. It not a battery charger. There are people out there that like to restore old radio, amps, etc. who would dance a jig for something like that.

This is not a 12 VDC supply. Warning: SAFETY FIRST. Those combination banana plug connectors are not safe for 500V on the bench top unless you really know what you are doing. They are strictly low voltage connectors. Do these have any use in the metal shop? Sputtering?

Constant voltage/constant current power supply. You set the voltage and the short circuit current .when you connect a resistance to the supply, the set voltage will be applied as long as the short circuit current isn't exceeded. As you decrease the resistance, the current increases. When it reaches the set current, the voltage will begin to decrease according to V = I x R (Ohm's Law). Most lab supplies are set up this way.

Since it appears to be a piece of equipment with capabilities outside of my skills set, we need to find a home for it.
Should I have my Better Half list it on eBay?
Thx.

Since the voltage range is too broad for transistor electronics, it might be of limited use. I keep a Philips bench supply that is around 0-48v that I wouldn't give up for the world. The 'Bay would be a good bet, especially if you can fit it in a flat rate box with enough padding to survive the trip.

From the voltage and current spec., this is a relic from the vacuum tube days. Maybe of some value to someone who plays with vacuum tubes. There are a few people around who restore some of the old audio equipment.

Back