12x36t/13x40GT oil drain valve

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone put quick ball valve drain for the head stock on either of these lathes. I want to connect a hose so it is not so much of mess. This way I can drain strait in to a bucket.
Thanks
CH

Nice timing. I was just thinking today, that having had my machine for about a year, I probably need to change the oil. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you David, I going to change the oil in my lathe head stock soon and I remembered how messy it was last time. I was not really prepared for it then. I intend to be this time! I loOLED in the manual parts list not the PM one, and the description was just 3/8 GP was not sure what that meant. Mostly they use British pipe threads but was not sure.
Again thanks David.
CH

Last edited:
Thank you David, I going to change the oil in my lathe head stock soon and I remembered how messy it was last time. I was not really prepared for it then. I intend to be this time! I loOLED in the manual parts list not the PM one, and the description was just 3/8 GP was not sure what that mint. Mostly they use British pipe threads but was not sure.
Again thanks David.
CH
My 2016 PM-1340GT headstock drain plug was 1/4” NPT. The oil level sight glass on the apron was a British pipe thread (go figure) which I retapped to NPT when I upgraded the sight glass. Your machine may be different so check first.

I cleaned under the plug with some citrus based cleaner, then applied some aluminum duct tape (paper backed very sticky) right under plug, then made a trough of cardboard and stuck onto the tape, no muss, no fuss.

Thanks I got David’s part on order from McMaster and they will be here this week. So no problem. I hate cleaning up oil and grease. My shop is an old pole barn, that I converted to a shop, sided it and put some Pella windows in, but it is still dusty and man oil and grease just sucks up the dirt, especially if we get those 50-100mph winds during the winter. It is a fight to keep it clean.
CH

I got the parts from Mc Master yesterday, but it is 6 degrees in my un heated shop right now. So don’t know when it will be warm enough to do the oil change on my lathe. I moved my PM932 head in to Moms she’s head witch is headed to be able to work on it. Looking to get shop heat ASAP
CH

Great idea, ill try and implement this in my lathe as well.

Back