13 amp electric mower motor salvage

toolholder

Active User
Registered
I obtained a discarded electric mower, 13 amps is says. DC motor reads 57 volts when running. RPM's seem pretty high, anyone got an idea what it might be? So I am thinking using it to power (geared down) a nice bench grinder which I'll build myself. All that power! Woohoo! Anyone else use these motors for anything?

mowermotor.jpeg

mowermotor.jpeg

Looking at the connections, it's probably a shunt-wound universal motor - these are the good ones as brushed motors go, the constant field voltage means they don't run away like series wound (or at least not as badly!) when unloaded but it's vital to have the field current flowing any time you power the armature! The Monarch 10EE used something similar (but much, much larger!) for its variable-speed drive, with field-failure relays (armature contacts open until field current flowed, to protect the motor) and field-weakening for the top end of the speed range. the field-failure relays put the field current through the relay coil, so the contacts for the armature current stayed open until field current flowed. Nice. Safe. The armature current/voltage controlled motor speed until it got to the top of the speed range, so the control electrics had a dual potentiometer to control both currents - I would guess they're pretty much unobtainable now?

It would probably run OK on AC too, given the right sort of voltages (probably a tad higher than the DC voltage, possibly even on 110v), the field failure could then be done using a low-voltage transformer with secondary rated for the field current it's passing and an AC relay coil driven from the 110v side...

Looking at the connections, it's probably a shunt-wound universal motor - these are the good ones as brushed motors go, the constant field voltage means they don't run away like series wound (or at least not as badly!) when unloaded but it's vital to have the field current flowing any time you power the armature! The Monarch 10EE used something similar (but much, much larger!) for its variable-speed drive, with field-failure relays (armature contacts open until field current flowed, to protect the motor) and field-weakening for the top end of the speed range. the field-failure relays put the field current through the relay coil, so the contacts for the armature current stayed open until field current flowed. Nice. Safe. The armature current/voltage controlled motor speed until it got to the top of the speed range, so the control electrics had a dual potentiometer to control both currents - I would guess they're pretty much unobtainable now?

It would probably run OK on AC too, given the right sort of voltages (probably a tad higher than the DC voltage, possibly even on 110v), the field failure could then be done using a low-voltage transformer with secondary rated for the field current it's passing and an AC relay coil driven from the 110v side...
As it turns out I have two of these motors, I had another discarded electric mower, both motors appear to be in good shape.

Thanks for all the info, it'll take me awhile to figure it out. Electronics is not in my field of interest or talent, I have done nothing more complicated than wiring houses and rewiring old cars. I tried to wire one motor directly to AC, oh that smell, thankfully didn't hurt it. I am surprised at how small the motor control is, I don't see how it can handle all that current. I am interested in a cheap easy speed control, I assume I would do this on the DC output side, do you control volts or amps? Or both?

Back