1340 one shot oiler aka 15 arm octopus

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is my attempt at the 1 shot, I have to wait for my lathe to be back up so I can dill the gallery feed line. Each coupler has the 4mm feed line entering the oil hole in the floor of the oil tray. Won't know if it works until I pressurize it....

Interesting. I need to do something to mine also.

The oil really needs to drip thru those holes slowly, that was the reason for the gauze. If you squirt oil in those holes, most will go straight thru like poop thru a goose.

From what I know the gauze is a hit and miss oiling system, and will have restrictions to certain areas, like the small oil hole in the back right rail, and to the far left edge. If a rare drip is good enough to lubricate the system, then making sure that oil is present in good quantities will be an improvement. This is not a production shop running for hours, which is were the limitations of the gauze system shows it's vulnerability, and a couple of pulls on the pump while working should not be a problem.

That felt pad on my PM1340 drip tray was responsible for starving oil distribution to the bushing supporting the feed-shaft. That lack of oil caused the feed shaft to seize up, which in turn caused the change gears to strip and break. This incident is what led me to come up with a my own better one-shot oiler. I’d much rather have too much, rather than too little oil dispensed into that Norton gearbox.

Aukai, great job. I switched to Mobil Vacouline 1409 oil for my one-shot since it has tackifier additives that limit the drip-off. You can find it on eBay from BRW Techonoligies in small (expensive) quantities, or from a Mobil distributor in 5 gallons pails. It excellent for bedways on the lathe and dovetail ways on a mill, cross slide or compound also.

Thank you David, I have Mobile DTE 26, my orifice holes are .063, I'm not sure how fast the bleed off will be, thank you for the heads up on the 1409.

I've had my gearbox out and disassembled 2 times now. I had change gears with bent teeth from mis-timing engaging the half-nut. I found the brass tubing feeding that bushing on the feed screw was plugged with gunk and paint and good thing I took it apart. The front middle bushing tubing was about half plugged. No amount of oiling from the top whether distribution plate or gauze drip was going to fix it. I blew it out from the inside with shaft out. The ball bearing hadn't been getting a lot of oil either and I packed it with some Mobil 1 synthetic grease. 2nd time I had it apart was to replace the gears I received from Taiwan, the bushings looked to be receiving oil from the drip at that time. If you study the photo in the manual, the gauze covers the holes except for the holes that feeds those brass tubing ports and the port over the ball bearing. The photo below doesn't seem to show the oil hole for the front middle brass tubing. I should have been more clear on "drip thru those holes slowly", I have a one-shot oiler installed now also, problem is it's fed from left hand side of that manifold. You give it 1 shot and there is just enough oil that it comes out of about first 3 or 4 ports, if you give it a quick second shot, oil makes it all the way to right end and you get a trickle out over hole to brass tubing for feed screw bushing, I like having the gauze to at least get the largest amount of oil to saturate it and it has a chance of dripping thru all the holes. All the other holes are just dripping oil on the gear teeth which are less critical than getting lubrication to the shaft bushings. If you direct inject into those holes, most of the oil will be in drip pan pretty quickly and there needs to be some restriction on the ports on the left or oil might never make it to ports on right side. You can always give it 4 or 5 shots I recon but we'd need to change the name to 4 or 5 shot oiler.

Attachments

• PM1340 oil gallery4.jpg
    PM1340 oil gallery4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I switched to Mobil Vacouline 1409 oil for my one-shot since it has tackifier additives that limit the drip-off.
David, do you happen to know what the oil is that PM sells with their machines in comparison to the 1409?

Thanks Rocket rider, I put oil over that last hole in the back right, and was concerned that it stayed as a puddle, then I saw it go down the drain so to speak. I will have to see how/what this oil setup delivers to even know if I'll use it.

I too have had my PM1340 gearbox apart, and discovered the same clogged oil delivery tube to the bronze feed-shaft bushing, along with paint overspray inside the bushing which caused the feed-shaft to seize up.

Feed-Shaft Bushing.jpg

To ensure oil is delivered disproportionately to the end of the distribution chain, and specifically over the ports that supply oil to the bushings below, I enlarged the drip points in those locations. With one-shot, oil is delivered along the entire path and more oil gets to the bushings than down onto the gears.

PM1340 Lathe Oil Distribution Plate.jpg
IMG_4662.jpeg

IMG_5251.jpeg

Back