1340 one shot oiler aka 15 arm octopus

David, do you happen to know what the oil is that PM sells with their machines in comparison to the 1409?
I didn't buy oil from PM, so can't answer your question specifically. The manual specifies Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium or equivalent for the headstock, carriage feed gearbox (Norton) and the apron. This is the oil I use in the headstock and apron, and I use the Mobil Vacouline 1409 for the ways, Norton gearbox, and oiler points on the carriage and the feed/threading shaft ends. The Vacouline 1409 is the same as Mobil Vactra No. 2 with tackifiers added so that it stays put and doesn't run off nearly as quickly. For the change gears, I use a spray-on lube that doesn't fling off and coat the inside of the belt/gear cover - it has a wax-like consistency and brings down the noise level of the gears considerably. This is the stuff:

IMG_4914.jpeg

I didn't buy oil from PM, so can't answer your question specifically. The manual specifies Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium or equivalent for the headstock, carriage feed gearbox (Norton) and the apron. This is the oil I use in the headstock and apron, and I use the Mobil Vacouline 1409 for the ways, Norton gearbox, and oiler points on the carriage and the feed/threading shaft ends. The Vacouline 1409 is the same as Mobil Vactra No. 2 with tackifiers added so that it stays put and doesn't run off nearly as quickly. For the change gears, I use a spray-on lube that doesn't fling off and coat the inside of the belt/gear cover - it has a wax-like consistency and brings down the noise level of the gears considerably. This is the stuff:

View attachment 366750
Thanks David!

I used Bel-Ray super clean motorcycle chain lube on the gears when I reassembled gearbox and on the change gears on end of input shaft. The super clean has more teflon in it and at least on a motorcycle seems to attract less dirt.

Any reason not to use felt wicks in each drip hole? Seems like that would channel the oil to each of them.

The upper right has a roll pin in it I think, it looks like it has a restrictor in it.

The upper right has a roll pin in it I think, it looks like it has a restrictor in it.

That's probably the copper tubing that runs down to the bushing on the feed screw.

I wonder why the hole was not left open?

Back