1340GT Ball Oilers

parshal

Registered
Registered
Finally got my lathe up and running. Thanks so much to Mark Jacob for his build and after sale support. His work is top-notch. What a resource to have around!

The ball oiler on the crosslide screw and the one on the rear of the carriage over the rear ways won't accept any oil. Two on the end of the lead screw, etc. do the same but I see oil coming out of the end so I know it's getting in there. I figure they are either clogged or were already full and won't accept any more. Can anyone provide a bit of input on that?

Also, the change gears. Wow, there's a lot of grease on those. Seems with that much grease then oil makes no difference. It's just going to roll right off that grease. Are you guys removing all that grease or leaving it? It's definitely grease and not cosmoline.

I just left the grease on. Can't see that it will hurt anything. Each time I change gears I put a little more on & wipe away any stray mess.
Ball oilers, I've never had a problem with them taking oil but some of them do it really slowly.

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated and always happy when everything is up and running. Some of the carriage ball oilers can be difficult to push oil into (very tight interface), I ended up putting heavy felt pads between the wipers and the carriage and oiling them in addition to the ball oilers. I also purchased a German Reilang oil pump which works in any position and will not leak. The brass tip fits the oilers and worked better. Not cheap, but they work.

On the change gears I cleaned them, otherwise the grease will fly everywhere. I use high impact grease on the change gears which significantly reduces the singing you sometimes get. The high impact grease is extremely tachy, almost like a spiders web, it does not come off the gears. Make sure that you check the gear spacing , typically use a sheet of copy paper and put it between the teeth when tightening the positions. Gears should have a slight play (something like 0.004") where they mesh.

You want to also remove the gearbox grease, it is more packing grease as opposed to lubrication and I found it had blocked some of the drip oil channels. It is also a magnet for dirt and swarf. I removed all the grease and made sure oil dripped from the top distribution plate down through each of the holes by using a pump oiler on each hole. You want to use way #2 oil on the gears, as it has better film tinacity, or better yet use Mobil Vacuoline 1409. Get yourself or make a pan to fit under the gearbox.

Thanks Mark. I got five quarts of 1409 and will be using that in the ball oilers, gears and ways. Probably in the apron once I change that.

I guess I'll go ahead and try to get all that grease out of those change gears. It's impressive how much is there. I'll start with a spoon. LOL

I'll look at that oil pump. I got one off Amazon and I'm impressed that it doesn't leak and it has a lot of pressure. I may actually be headed to Germany for work in a few months. Maybe I can find one cheaper over there.

Yes Mark is a great guy. I pestered him over the phone and with email a number of times while setting up my 1340. The world would be a better place with more people like him. Thanks again Mark.

PS I machined a washer to offset the change gear that was misaligned.

Anyone else have experience with oilers taking oil slow? When my oil can seals up to the ball oiler it doesn’t leak even under pressure of the can. As soon as I pull the can tip away from the ball oiler all the oil comes back out of the oiler. Only happens on a couple.

I also purchased a German Reilang oil pump which works in any position and will not leak. The brass tip fits the oilers and worked better. Not cheap, but they work.
Swiss made actually. Agreed, well worth the money.

Anyone else have experience with oilers taking oil slow? When my oil can seals up to the ball oiler it doesn’t leak even under pressure of the can. As soon as I pull the can tip away from the ball oiler all the oil comes back out of the oiler. Only happens on a couple.
My 1440GS did the same thing in a few places. Some I could have emptied the container and a few other oil flowed out when I started to lift the nozzle away. Is it possible that there is an obstruction beneath the ball check or is it really just very tight tolerances, in which case I still wonder if oil is getting where it needs to be?

I asked Tech@PM about the oilers and this is what I got back “That can be normal, especially on the ways where it may be a tight fit and not letting it in. Just make sure it seems to be getting oiled and that should be fine.”

Back