1340gt finally made it after what looks like a rough ride

Fallon

Registered
Registered
Got a call from Saia on Tuesday. I was busy Thursday, so scheduled the delivery for today (Friday). Was getting kind of torqued that they ditched me for an early weekend until the driver finally called at nearly 6pm. He finally made it at 7 or so after getting stuck in a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere (car wreck a couple miles away). Grabbed the crate & boxes out of the back of the semi with the Kubota. They put a pallet under the crate so the driver could move it around. Unfortunately that pallet was pretty smashed & only half under the crate. Ended up disassembling the pallet under the crate while they were both sitting on my pallet forks so I could set the crate down level & stand a chance at getting forks under it again.

Open up the boxes containing the stand first as they were the worse for wear. No metal damage, but the paint on them & the stickers is all sorts of scuffed. A bit of metal showing on the corners of the headstock stand & both doors. No bends or dents I can tell yet, maybe a few dings on the corners.

20180126_195443.jpg
20180126_195503.jpg

The crate was fully intact & seems to have survived crushing the pallet. Pulled out all the boxes containing all the accessories & stuff. One of the small aluminum boxes was on the loosing end of some fight, but i'm not quite sure what the fight was with. At any rate it opens fine & nothing important was messed up, inside at least. None of the other aluminum or tool boxes were any worse for wear. Some of the cardboard boxes were a a bit worn or chewed up, but no contents seemed to be harmed.

20180126_201606.jpg

Unloaded the pallet a bit more & found some more paint damage on the drip tray, edges got chipped & rubbed a fair bit as well as a spot or 2 on the bottom. Again no metal damage though & I think it's mostly on the back & bottom. The back splash of the lathe itself got scuffed a bit from some of the boxes vibrating, but luckily not though the paint. May even just be some dust ground on a bit rather than paint damage. The back panel between the stands got scuffed a bit, but not through the paint & not nearly as bad as the doors for the stands.

20180126_202304.jpg

The good news is the lathe itself looks to be fine, except for that trivial dirt or scuffing on the back of the back splash. Well, other than the expected cosmaline, dirt & splinters from unpacking & shipping. Knew that was coming & I'd need to clean that off though. Actually, looking at that photo now, looks like the pallet might have taken one of the "feet" of the pallet with it.

20180126_202824.jpg

Now comes the hard part. Have to figure out if I'm gonna bother trying to re-paint the stands at all. I figure it's cold enough here in Colorado for a while I probably won't bother. Hopefully the worst of the dings will just be hidden under the drip tray. As my tractor won't fit under the door to my shop that hangs off the side of the barn I'm in for some work assembling this thing. Have a pallet jack to get it in position & gonna borrow an engine hoist from a friend down the road (he wants me to do some tractor work for him anyway). Wrapped it up as it was getting late & in the 20's, all the melting snow froze back up.

The same trucking company delivered mine and I had the same damage to the stands. The lathe crate was also busted up pretty good but fortunately no damage to the equipment. Good to hear yours survived as well.

Maybe the ship got in a scuffle with pirates on the way over. That Aluminum case looks like it might have stopped a cannon ball.

At least it looks like it is mostly cosmetic, but must be kind of a let down to get your new lathe and it already needs a touch up.

i feel very fortunate after seeing your damage! i received my 1440 yesterday, all crating in good shape and driver showed up early. Shipper was FedEx so that might have played a role.

Like your Kubota...mine is the M59. couldn’t like without it!

I've delt with fright damage in the past, very frustrating to say the least. As the shipper, I only use XPO Logistics formally known as Con-Way. They cost a little more but have NEVER had a claim with them. a process that is a real PITA. Been using them for 13 years and my crates are stout as hell.
I would paint the stand while its apart tho.
Congratulations on your new machine!
Paco

My 1340GT was delivered by UPS freight and while the lathe itself suffered no physical damage, the stands, backsplash, and the piece that fits between the stands (old style stand) was scuffed up pretty good. One of the pieces (I don't remember which one) had a bit of a tweak done to it during shipping, so I had to tweak it back to the way it was supposed to be. :)

Aside from that one tweaked thing, I had some of the mandatory paint chips and scuffs that shippers manage to inflict on our new toys, but thankfully all the important stuff was in good order. Even though some of the boxes containing some of the accessories looked like they'd been in a war zone. ;)

I'm glad to see that basically everything arrived intact. That's the important part. I'm with Paco on the paint touch-up, if for nothing else than to protect the metal. The top of the stands are under the chip tray, so I'd probably just brush on some rustoleum on there just to protect the exposed stuff. :D

Congrats on your new machine, you guys are giving me upgrade fever.

I would contact the shipping company and make a claim for damage it transit. At this point you know is that there is some paint damage. However given the state of the pallet you have no idea whether the machine itself has hidden damage. You might be lucky and all is well. On the other hand if you don't start a claim within a short period of time (usually 24 to 48 hours) there may be no recourse if/when you find the damage.

It takes a lot of force to crush a pallet. That force may have come from dropping the crate on it. The last thing you want to find weeks down the road is the bed is bent, gears are damaged, or some it has other damage that isn't visible at this moment.

Congrats on your new machine, you guys are giving me upgrade fever.

Just what I was thinking. I've had the belt head version for 25 years, I don't NEED to upgrade but seeing pictures of your new machine makes me WANT to. I might use a different carrier though!

Question: Clean off all the cosmaline & what not before or after putting it together? I'm thinking after so the commaline might help protect it while I'm shuffling it around.

Back