14" circular metal blade

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What brand/type of saw blade will stand up to hardened material? I used my mild steel blade knowing it was going to hurt it on a hardened axel. I have the Janyce Slugger machine.

a carborundum cut off wheel will cut just about anything
slow saws use carbide tipped blades for cutting

I don't have the abrasive anymore.

Yes, and a 7", I don't like the sparks, and dust, but I may have to go there. I'm evaluating getting an abrasive saw again, it's safer than free handing bigger stuff. Free handing a cut once I got thumped in the chest with a disintegrating wheel, I always use a welding jacket, gloves, and a shield, I got lucky.

I have the 14" Evolution Metal cutoff saw and blade, it works great on mild steel. I have cut a couple of Axle shafts in the past, I don't the blade will last a long time cutting hard metal. That's just a guess on my part though.

Thanks, I had to use a carbide end mill to get below the hardening to drill my axle piece for the project, burned it up on the exit. I am looking at an evolution blade online now, just doing more research.

Free handing a cut once I got thumped in the chest with a disintegrating wheel, I always use a welding jacket, gloves, and a shield, I got lucky.

Not lucky, you got prepared and smart!
-brino

There's a "friend" acquaintence of mine that was (2004) in the niche market of building custom closets. He had a cutoff saw, basicly a mitre saw, that was used for metal. He showed me how it worked with aluminium. I know the shelving he was mounting was cored with steel. Not too sure how long the blade lasted, but when I visited the shop, there wasn't a blade wrench at hand. A commercial operation, so there must have been a reasonable lifespan on the blade.

He specifically noted the blade he was using, a 10" cabinet builders blade with small carbide teeth. I "think" (impression) it was a 100 tooth blade. The teeth had a slight "set", cutting a kerf wider than the blade. A fairly cheap blade as cabinet saws go, I bought one like it for use in my own shop for woodworking.

The carbide tooth blade cut metal slower than wood, and lots of sparks. But it was working for him on light metal and plastic coated rod. I don't know how well it would work on heavier metal and couldn't bring myself to try. I have a Horrible Fright metal cutting saw with a composition blade, so didn't push the idea very far. I don't know what you want to cut, so will abstain from comment there. But it was working for my "coffee shop" buddy. Might be worth a shot. . .

Back