1440's type - informational thread -Post Yours here

Please, How do you move these lathes in your shops?

John

Very carefully, and not always successfully. This was me. Damage turned out minimal, but the experience brought out more grey hair overnight.

PXL_20221127_221023709.jpg

I also used two chain hoists to lift the lathe out of my truck and off of the pallet jacks.

Last edited:
I have 2 pallet jacks as well. My victor 1640 is hard on the pallets tho.

No but at 3700 pounds it tends to crush the pallets with ease. These are not standard pallets with one inch planks either. These are constructed of 2x6’s and 4x4’s

OK, so I kind'a butted-in a thread. I was curious how you folks move the beast about. About 15 years ago I almost pulled the trigger on a 1440 import - my customer was the distributor so price was great. But even taking the headstock and cabinet off, I could not get it down the stairs to a basement so I passed

Not long ago, I purchased a table-top mill 7 x 27, 12" Z. I did so because I could mount it on a HD toolbox. It lives in the house where I can wheel it about to clean. I would love a full-size knee mill, but I'd be relegated to the garage with no way to move it. I haven't run into a work size problem with the table top yet, but the 1.5 HP does show its weakness.

I was considering a 11 x 29 or 12 x 30 table-top lathe, but it is the power that I know will bite me. For about the same money I can get a 1440 gearhead with variable speed between gear ratios. It can't go in the house - garage only. I guess I'll have to add HVAC to the garage as my woodworking tools are suffering already and a lathe is much more complicated than a table saw or planer or...

So to the point - to all those who have been there/done that; what would you do? A 1440 on casters and invest in a dual Mini split for environmental control, or take the power and size hit and go with the table-top in the house (I am blessed with a large room for electronics/optical/and now milling projects)? I have no specific projects for the new lathe, not looking to be commercial, and in the metal working power tool world (lathe/mill) am definitely a Newb. A couple months ago, at 67 years old, I finally bought that mill (even if it is almost a toy) because all my life I had a project which required machining which I farmed-out or abandoned the project completely due to that cost. Right now I have a project I can do with a rotary table on my mill but could do in 1/10 the time on a lathe. Help me step into Lathedom, please.

Thanks,
John

Back