14x40 spindle bearing replacement

My lathe is a Jet brand. They show around $400 each for those bearings and they are not precision bearings.
Plain robbery.
Joe
I think I watched the same video of the guy rebuilding his headstock. If I remember correctly he also purchased his replacements from grizzly. I did check everything I could and it all feels good. I really didn’t have all this on the schedule but it is what it is. Again I wasn’t having any problems at least known ones I just was replacing the headstock oil. While looking around I notice the race for the chuck side didn’t look fully seated in the bore. I looked at the gear side and the race was seated. 29594B8B-FFA4-48D2-BB6A-4F7BC06A5D42.jpeg7890DE72-1C4F-4652-A190-437EA2CE85B7.jpeg
the first pic is hard to see but the second shows the gap I was seeing. The gear side was flush with the casting so I thought theres a problem. It bothered me thinking well that the reason for bad finishes or that time I almost broke the parting blade. IDK
So I pulled the spindle and found that the race was seated against the housing. I just couldn’t see the inner ledge it was seated against. So it was all okay but now the bearing don’t look to my standards. Now I just want the best I can put back in her for a reasonable price.
I think I might be giving grizzly a call about these bearings. Something doesn’t seem right about them to me.

I always get my bearings from Motion Industries. They have lots of outlets and excellent service. Their pricing is always far better than OEM. They have lots of outlets and warehouse locations and are normally very quick. It is the same company that Adam Booth (ABOM79) worked for.
If they don't have them locally they have them next day from their warehouses. But not always. I just needed two high speed Italian made bearings. Not something they stock. They checked and the best they could do for me was order them out of Italy, not in stock there but direct from the manufacture. I checked with the machine manufacturer, none there either. But the price was over $100 more per bearing than @ Motion! In this case it doesn't matter because it is just a spare I'm rebuilding. It is always worth checking with an industrial supplier first on most any parts you need. They may not beat eBay but always way cheaper than OEM and likely the real thing. Motion offers rebuilding for many things.

Those do not look like P5 bearings, the first one is even marked as P6 by Grizzly. I sent a message to a colleague of mine that is the national sales manager for NSK to ask how they mark the boxes and bearings for P5. I’ll let you know what I find out.

I don’t know about other manufacturers, but FAG marks their bearings with the the tolerance class, so if you buy an FAG P5 bearing and it is not marked that way on the bearing itself, then I would return it. If there is no tolerance class indicated, then you need to assume it is standard. The J simply means the contact angle meets ISO standards, and the HR is a high load rating. I believe those codes are specific to NSK since FAG and SKF don’t use that code on tapered roller bearings.

These bearings don’t have an indication on the box that they are anything but standard tolerance bearings, I would not install them until you can confirm they are authentic NSK P5 bearings. I have never seen a higher tolerance class bearing that did not at least have that indicated on the box, there would be no way for the warehouse to know what it was otherwise. If these are not P5, then shame on Grizzly for trying to sell standard bearings as a premium class.

Timken is the only bearing manufacturer I am aware of that made steel, they spun off the steel making business a number of years ago, so they are now having to purchase it like everyone else. Schaeffler (FAG, INA, and Barden) purchase their steel to make the bearings from around the world. Barden makes some parts from bar stock and imports others in a semi-finished state and then does the final grinding and honing to meet the tolerances of the class they are manufacturing.
I would love to hear what your friend says and maybe ask of a good place to purchase. Thanks for the info!!!

I always get my bearings from Motion Industries. They have lots of outlets and excellent service. Their pricing is always far better than OEM. They have lots of outlets and warehouse locations and are normally very quick. It is the same company that Adam Booth (ABOM79) worked for.
If they don't have them locally they have them next day from their warehouses. But not always. I just needed two high speed Italian made bearings. Not something they stock. They checked and the best they could do for me was order them out of Italy, not in stock there but direct from the manufacture. I checked with the machine manufacturer, none there either. But the price was over $100 more per bearing than @ Motion! In this case it doesn't matter because it is just a spare I'm rebuilding. It is always worth checking with an industrial supplier first on most any parts you need. They may not beat eBay but always way cheaper than OEM and likely the real thing. Motion offers rebuilding for many things.
I’m familiar with them and will look into them. I thought I was set but maybe not so. Thanks for the tip.

I would love to hear what your friend says and maybe ask of a good place to purchase. Thanks for the info!!!
I have bad news for you, those are not P5. My friend got back to me last night and said a genuine NSK bearing will have P5 marked on the bearing itself, so he is 100% sure they are not P5. He wasn’t sure if this type has the high spot marked or not, he would have to check the specs to verify.
Grizzly is not a customer of theirs, so there is a very real possibility these are counterfeit. I suspect they bought these through their machine supplier in China, I have no idea how they determined to sell these as P5, but I would call them up and tell them you confirmed through NSK these are not what you purchased and want to return them. I am going to send him the pictures you posted so that he can see if he can confirm they are not genuine or just mismarked by Grizzly. I am very disappointed in Grizzly, I never expected them to do something like this and this calls into question all the bearings they use in their equipment. I have a feeling Grizzly is going to get a call from NSK in the near future.

He suggested calling Eastern Industrial in Manchester NH and ask for Jamie in the machine tool group and they will be able to help you. He said P5 in these sizes is not common and doesn’t show any P5 in this size in stock, but Jamie might be able to find something for you. He might also be able to recommend an alternative that will work as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are going through the work of replacing the bearings, you should make sure you have the best ones for the best reliability and life. I also agree with what someone earlier said and to take the opportunity to replace the other shaft bearings while you have the spindle out.

It’s the sticker that makes me think. Nsk made in Japan exactly what I would think. the fact that it says made in China for grizzly industry and not made in Japan? Then printed on the box is HR30210J
21-03View attachment 395100
Their are no other markings on races for high spot. I am familiar with them but don’t see anything.
I’m gonna go with these bearings the old ones I cannot see putting back in I just didn’t like how they looked. I’ve taken apart greased filled bearings that looked in better shape.
These are the old ones first is gear side and it’s race third is headstock side and it’s race. Contamination for sure. View attachment 395101View attachment 395102View attachment 395103View attachment 395104
Spindle runout was checked prior to disassembly and it had zero runout with a tenth indicator. I checked for deflection and with alot of weight I could only get .0002. Checking with a pry-bar and wood against spindle to the lathe bed. And I checked for any endplay which I couldn’t read any.
I’m cleaning everything up right now deburring and getting ready for reassembly. We will see still trying to solve filtering oil prior to bearings?
Those bear are shot.
Zero runout?

I have bad news for you, those are not P5. My friend got back to me last night and said a genuine NSK bearing will have P5 marked on the bearing itself, so he is 100% sure they are not P5. He wasn’t sure if this type has the high spot marked or not, he would have to check the specs to verify.
Grizzly is not a customer of theirs, so there is a very real possibility these are counterfeit. I suspect they bought these through their machine supplier in China, I have no idea how they determined to sell these as P5, but I would call them up and tell them you confirmed through NSK these are not what you purchased and want to return them. I am going to send him the pictures you posted so that he can see if he can confirm they are not genuine or just mismarked by Grizzly. I am very disappointed in Grizzly, I never expected them to do something like this and this calls into question all the bearings they use in their equipment. I have a feeling Grizzly is going to get a call from NSK in the near future.

He suggested calling Eastern Industrial in Manchester NH and ask for Jamie in the machine tool group and they will be able to help you. He said P5 in these sizes is not common and doesn’t show any P5 in this size in stock, but Jamie might be able to find something for you. He might also be able to recommend an alternative that will work as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are going through the work of replacing the bearings, you should make sure you have the best ones for the best reliability and life. I also agree with what someone earlier said and to take the opportunity to replace the other shaft bearings while you have the spindle out.
This is going the extra mile my friend.I love this forum!

Timken is the only bearing manufacturer I am aware of that made steel, they spun off the steel making business a number of years ago, so they are now having to purchase it like everyone else. Schaeffler (FAG, INA, and Barden) purchase their steel to make the bearings from around the world. Barden makes some parts from bar stock and imports others in a semi-finished state and then does the final grinding and honing to meet the tolerances of the class they are manufacturing.
Sorry, "iron" in my industry means a completed component. As you already stated, they buy in a semi finished state. They don't forge and heat treat their rollers, cups, or cages.

Sorry, "iron" in my industry means a completed component. As you already stated, they buy in a semi finished state. They don't forge and heat treat their rollers, cups, or cages.
I said some components, they make most of what they produce inhouse.

Back