1760 third speed gear destroyed

Net30

Registered
Registered
So I noticed lathe would power down randomly and sound of loose fitting gears clinging. I opened the gear box and this is what I found. Top right gear is toast. Any suggestions on replacement? Or how to even go about finding out how to replace... 1000045455.jpg

You might be able to source a gear from Grizzly if they have a similar-sized lathe

In the future it would be helpful if you gave some more specifics about the brand, specific model, year, etc about your lathe as that could determine if you could source an OEM part. Many of these lathes were sold under different brand names and parts are sometimes interchangeable. It is very unlikely that you would be able to buy a gear and modify it, in a larger shop they may be able to fabricate it. There are quite a few companies that fabricate gears, but my concern would be if they can heat treat the gear properly and often there is some form of finishing/sizing to gears. Best bet would be to get some preliminary quotes then pull your gear and send to the company to do exact dimensions. Also check to see why it happened and also other gears that it meshed to.

Just a few sites that fabricate gears.

Added Boston Gear, they are a large source of gears, they also do custom gears. As mentioned, it is not only the making of the gear but proper steel and heat treating of the teeth. If you have the manual you may be able to pull a part number and see if there what you can find.

Last edited:
In the future it would be helpful if you gave some more specifics about the brand, specific model, year, etc about your lathe as that could determine if you could source an OEM part. Many of these lathes were sold under different brand names and parts are sometimes interchangeable. It is very unlikely that you would be able to buy a gear and modify it, in a larger shop they may be able to fabricate it. There are quite a few companies that fabricate gears, but my concern would be if they can heat treat the gear properly and often there is some form of finishing/sizing to gears. Best bet would be to get some preliminary quotes then pull your gear and send to the company to do exact dimensions. Also check to see why it happened and also other gears that it meshed to.

Just a few sites that fabricate gears.

Added Boston Gear, they are a large source of gears, they also do custom gears. As mentioned, it is not only the making of the gear but proper steel and heat treating of the teeth. If you have the manual you may be able to pull a part number and see if there what you can find.
It's and osama sr. 1760g. From the mid 80s. From what I can see, it's identical to pretty much any of the models at the time. Also going to end up needing a gib for the cross slide.

After looking again, it looks like the bottom gear underneath the oil was pretty trashed too. Looks like a real pain to take out and disconnect.

Back