17th Century lathes: how did they work?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have this day job...executive of a specialty graduate school in the decorative arts. The fact that I have a lathe somehow got to one of our PhD students, a brilliant young woman who is researching intricate multi-layered ivory carving done on lathes in the 1600-1700s. Apparently the technology, probably clockmaking, was exported from the ornate world of French, German, and Dutch courts to China, where the ivory carving expertise was.
She's trying to learn how these things worked. I told her they looked like they were pedal-operated, with the pedals turning belts or strings that turned the wheels, and that the cutting was likely done as on wood lathes, where a chisel is supported by a bar and held against the spinning work to make particular cuts. I showed her videos on how traditional fountain pen making in India still works today, a miniature version of wood lathes powered by overhead belt assemblies.
But, the intricacy of these lathes is far greater than that, particularly in the first two pictures. You can well imagine the tailstock, headstock, main gearing, and workholding; but what are all the adjustments?
Does anyone here know of a text or detailed description of how these worked?
Are there any lathe historians among us?
Many thanks,
Tim

.Belgian Rose engine lathe 1749-1756.jpgLathe with the arms of the Prince of Lorraine 18th century.jpg17th century European lathe found in China.pngElector Max III of Bavaria at the Lathe 1765.jpgrose engine lathe.jpg

These were ornamental turning lathes, where, commonly, cams moved the headstock sideways to create designs on the work; Google "Holtzapfel", he made a lot of these machines.

I looked into this a while back. The rose engine lathe is a very cool thing and they are still available today.

Wouldn't we all love for a brilliant young woman to take an interest in our hobby?

Cheers,

John

That Rose Engine is stunningly beautiful. Ought to be at least one in a museum somewhere.
Amazing how clever and creative people are. And equally misguided at times. :)

Back