WTB 18" Camel Back (or similar) Straight Edge

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm wanting to expand my horizons, so I am looking for an 18" straight edge as a reference for machine scraping. I need one that has both that flat reference surface as well as the 45 degree angled surface - I think they are referred to as "prismatic."

I know that I can buy a new casting from Martin Models & Patterns, but hoping to find something a bit more vintage and maybe save some money in the process. I need 18" as 12" is too short and 24" is a bit too long for what I want or need.

I'm OK with an unmachined casting. I've got alerts on Fakebook and ePay, but nothing has popped up that matches what I am looking for as of yet.

Could also be used as a wood lathe (pattern makers style).
Has a sturdy bed!! Add risers and turn huge bowls.

D

MyLilMule,
Sorry about this confusion.
I did two posts this morning.
I have no idea how I messed this up but the two got swapped. On your thread and https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/putnam-lathe.106430/#post-1043958
I'll call it UserError. That's me. Please forgive my confusion.

This is the post I intended to put here:
I've got several extra 4footers but no extra smaller straight edges. So I'm not of much assist.
If you were ok with a prism DuraBar does well enough and you'd need to machine and scrape her flat. I made a 12" that way.
Works well enough but does move around some even if I hang vertically. Storage is critical!!

Martin has a good reputation, but I've not touched a Martin.
I'd also consider looking at dgfoster, Bellingham, WA. I think he sells on eBay as FotoDoc.
I'm aware of his edges via http://forums.thehomefoundry.org known as Melterskelter
He goes out of his way to help others learn to cast.

If you contact him outside of eBay he presumably sells at a much lower price.
You can also find him engaged in fascinating discussions about quality castings and casting stability with persons we won't name here.
His stereotypical position is never aggressive and is always interestingly much closer to science instead of this is how we've always done it.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for clearing that up, Daryl. No worries. I've reached out to dgfoster and got the information about his from him. I'd like to see if I could find one a bit more vintage, since I like vintage machines more than the new ones. :) But I need to decide and buy something within the next couple of weeks.

I ended up getting one from Denis. Now I just need to figure out the right way to machine it in short order. I only have about a week to get it done. If I can't get it done in that period of time, I'll wait and figure out a different piece to use in the scraping class.

Back