1860’s Pratt & Whitney Rifling Machine- video

Lol, watching the second video, where the people's heads are out of the frame and everyone is wearing long shirts, I was certain it was filmed in India or Pakistan after seeing the minutes-long OSHA violations that they were documenting. Then the camera pulled up, and of course, reveals it's home-grown in the US. I had hoped it would be easier to tell the difference.

The sound did not work for me for some reason, it was at full volume and unmuted.

3,450 FPS!!
That is one fast projectile.
Anyone know what this round is designed for?
Mountain goats at 1 mile?

Most varmint calibers are comfortably in the 3000-4000 fps range.

I set out to make a rifling machine years ago, based on the Webb design. After building the base, you realize how much of the shop you're giving up for one machine, that does a single, very particular, job... I still think about it occasionally, but giving up 3 x 16' for what would probably be a barrel or two a year (unless I somehow figured out how to do better than Krieger (unlikely)) just doesn't make sense.

GsT

I still think about it occasionally, but giving up 3 x 16' for what would probably be a barrel or two a year (unless I somehow figured out how to do better than Krieger (unlikely)) just doesn't make sense.

GsT

Two very important points you make. A Krieger blank is $400, the purchase and resto would take a long time to pay off at that rate, not to mention a super match Krieger is certain to make 1/4 moa and sometimes better when I do my contributing efforts correctly.

Then again, owning a push rifling machine is kind of like owning an anvil and bellows, it's the hands on process that appeals more so than the ability to produce superior work.

Back