1937 Delta DP 220 Grounded Plug & Jackshaft Questions

Thanks for the tips Glenn! I'm definitely going to fabricate some type of jackshaft before I try drilling any large holes. I have a few ideas now, I'll post back with the results.

-Mike

Glen, Your mention of 'step' drill made me think of using a multi-step drill. Since his final diameter is 3/4, and step drills are available with 3/4 as the largest (top-most) diameter. Would this help?

I would use a Rotabroach to drill that hole instead of a twist drill. You can probably run it at the lowest speed you currently have available without using the jackshaft pulley. Just use some stickwax or cutting fluid and it will cut that hole easily.

I would be very leery of running a big drill like that in a drill press - can't go slow enough even with the speed reduction from the jackshaft pulley.

I second the Rotabroach/annular cutter Idea if you can set it up. Very nice holes, and less power to use.

Hello,
I'm new to Hobby-Machinist and I was hoping to get some guidance on my recently acquired 1937 Delta DP 220 drill press. I have 2 main questions:

1.) I need to replace the power cord because the insulation has a lots of cracks and nicks. Should I replace it with a 3-prong power cord and attach the ground wire to an internal motor screw or should I just replace it with a 2-prong power cord, like the original?

2.) I need to drill some 3/4" holes in a 1/2" steel plate. I've seen a couple posts on this form where people made custom jackshafts to mount a 3rd pulley, between the 2 existing pulleys, to achieve lower RPMs. I don't have a lathe so I wouldn't be able to fabricate my own with such precision. So, I was hoping someone could tell me the part numbers of the original Delta kit or a jackshaft kit for another drill press that would work with my DP 220?

Thanks!

-Mike
Hello Mike, I replaced my cord with a three prong # 12; I was still getting shocked going bare foot in the basement so I ran #12 wire as a machine ground and now it's good.

drill press ground.jpg

If you were getting shocked after replacing the cord, then you have a fault that needs fixing. This occurred when you touched
the DP? Ground wires are good, but should not be depended on if you have a problem with your machine.

My plan was to just attach the ground to an existing screw inside the motor housing, will that work?

Also, I made a jackshaft! I don't have a lathe so it's slightly different than most homemade ones I've seen on here but it works great! I made a video of the of the process and I'm editing it together, it should be done by Wednesday and then I'll post it here. Here's what it looks like:

-Mike

I just uploaded the video for my homemade jackshaft:

If my calculations are correct (which they might not be), I got the slowest speed down to around 300 RPM on my Delta DP 220.

-Mike

Mike, if you run your link belts so "the tails follow", they will run a little quieter and not bind when they slip.

pontiac428,
Ah, good to know! I had never used a link-belt before and the instructions didn't mention which way the belt should run. I had a 50/50 chance and still guessed wrong. ;)

-Mike

Back