1943 LeBlond 13 Question about belt and pulley size.

Bubba5000

Registered
Registered
I'm working on a basket case LeBlond 13. It was partly disassembled and mixed in with other disassembled machines, motors etc. at an tag Estate sale. Owner had passed away so no info. However, I ended up with just about all of the lathe. I used the "Running a Regal" manual's parts list to get to where I'm at but need the diameter of the pulley at the motor and belt length. I didn't get the original motor or belts so I'm going with a 3ph and a VFD but having the original measurements would be nice. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Bubba
Including a "Where I started" and "Where I'm at" photos

Attachments

• Lathe 1.jpg
    Lathe 1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1 LeBlond 13.jpg
    1 LeBlond 13.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 23
I think with a couple more hammers you could beat it out of somebody :grin: ....Nice work by the way:)

Very nice Round Head!
I had a Leblond that size but it was one model older.
No chip pan and babbitt bearings.
I would think you could figure out the pulley size you need by doing a bit of experimenting and math.
Manual should tell you what the various speeds are so count how many turns of the driven pulley to get one turn on the spindle. Then work backwards to the 1750 rpms of the motor. Myself, I would bump the speed up a 100 or 200 more pms. Roller bearings will take more rpms than babbitt.
My own lathe could be purchased new with either 750 or 1000 rpms. Drive pulley on the motor was the only difference.
Once you get a pulley on the motor the belt length should be easy enough too.
Just do the rope trick. Wrap a piece of 1/2" rope between the pulleys then mark and measure the length. I've had to do that on tractors and farm machinery over the years.

I have the same lathe but with the right hand leg being the light weight "export ?" version.

Motor pully on mine 3" OD , headstock pully 7.5" OD (might be 7.25" , the hand wheel is in the way to make a tape measure measurement :) )

Stu

I have the same lathe but with the right hand leg being the light weight "export ?" version.

Motor pully on mine 3" OD , headstock pully 7.5" OD (might be 7.25" , the hand wheel is in the way to make a tape measure measurement :) )

Stu
Thank you Stu.

Back