1970's Milwaukee 120-ND Heavy Duty Drill Press

rodm717

Registered
Registered
Been a while since I posted , but considering how hard it seems to find older machines in decent condition anymore, a miracle I found this. 5 yrs ago I wouldn't have felt this way, but it's cold out there on good vintage machines the last couple years. For a reasonable price at least.
Anyway just picked up a Milwaukee Heavy duty benchtop drill press as my newer Delta 12" does not cut it on metals.
This drill press has 12 speeds, 3 pulleys, and 3/4 hp. Also a great light built in to casting with switch.
Hopefully post some pics tomorrow.
This unit seems to be in very good condition and taken care of. Was told bearing had been replace in spindle.
Can't wait to clean her up and show her off. Got it for a steal along with a vintage 30gal compressor for a future plasma table project.
I realize this is a foreign machine that has been greatly replicated, but even these are becoming a bit scarce and the quality is definitely better than most newer in same size and class for a fraction of the price.
Any literature or experience with this particular machine would be much appreciated.
Here is a stock photo from google for reference.

Attachments

• 4tZSloDfIBWq9OuTsDLnWE5TLHFbnTx09vkWF1BOc0I.jpg
    4tZSloDfIBWq9OuTsDLnWE5TLHFbnTx09vkWF1BOc0I.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
I have the exact same one, purchased from Post Tool up in Oakland in the 70s. It's a turd, but a reliable one. Two things you may find:
Loosen the table lock and the front of the table drops about a 1/4". Tighten it and the table is square to the column again. I just live with it.
Second thing is the quill may be a sloppy fit in the head- maybe not too much if you are lucky. This is a Taiwan made machine that's an exception to the "Taiwan is good" rule
The thing is a brontosaurus though, the motor just goes and goes. I hate it but I love it. It drills holes. Anything precise I use my little mill
-Mark

I have the exact same one, purchased from Post Tool up in Oakland in the 70s. It's a turd, but a reliable one. Two things you may find:
Loosen the table lock and the front of the table drops about a 1/4". Tighten it and the table is square to the column again. I just live with it.
Second thing is the quill may be a sloppy fit in the head- maybe not too much if you are lucky. This is a Taiwan made machine that's an exception to the "Taiwan is good" rule
The thing is a brontosaurus though, the motor just goes and goes. I hate it but I love it. It drills holes. Anything precise I use my little mill
-Mark
Table looks fine and quill is smooth.
Was able to kick the tires and run it during purchase. Was not abused and really good condition for age.. I do have a new chuck to fit it with.. I'll get deeper into it tomorrow and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Crossing my fingers it will serve its purpose as I have a vfd and 3ph motor to retrofit if it is up to snuf.

Good to hear, I'm sure the quality varied all over the place with these. What I would really like is one of the large Sears models, import, 12 speed. The ones they made back in the 90s I think
Still looking. I have a Walker Turner but it doesn't have the wide speed range or the rack and pinion table
The other option would be to make a whole new quill when I get my big Atlas set up, and figure some way to tighten up the table. Then I could keep the lovely old thing, that sweet old Milwaukee with that buffalo sized motor :)
-M

Last edited:
You're right about this machine being sold under a number of different names. I have 2 of them. Both were purchased from a local farm store. The first one was bought in the late 1970,s by my father in law and carried the name Rockford. I went back to the same store a few months later to purchase another one but couldn't find the exact same brand name. When I asked if I could order one i was told they had the same drill press with their own name on it rather than Rockford. The manufacturer would put any name on them you wanted with a minimum order of 500 units. The one I purchased carried the name Farm & Fleet. They are identical except for the name tag. I still have both and they still run fine.

So, here's the good news. The table is stiff and not much movement when free and absolutely none when locked down. The gear mechanism needs looked at as the handle shaft threads out when raising. It does not come out, but needs fixed.
The pulleys and belts look good. Runs mostly quiet, except the motor, which I planned on replacing any way. The idler pulley should have bearing changed.
I must have lucked out on quill, no moment or radial play. Little to no runout.
I will need a Mt2 adapter for the new chuck as I cannot find one. I do have other mt2 drill chucks so just popped one of those in.
So far it looks to be win for my purposes.
I will uploaded more pics when it get to its planned spot in my shop.
20210530_113725.jpg
20210530_113713.jpg

Last edited:
Sure do like the round t-slotted tables on those old Taiwan DP's.
Makes it easier to clamp work down and center it with a degree of precision..

Still looking. I have a Walker Turner but it doesn't have the wide speed range or the rack and pinion table

-M

Mark - I have a 15" WT with the intermediate pulley. I put a variable speed DC motor on it and a table counterweight (bunch of dog food cans filled with lead :) ) which solved the exact same issues I had with it. I mostly leave it in the middle belt setting (~150-1200rpm) but sometimes put it in the slow setting for drilling bigger stuff (50-400rpm). I don't think I've ever used the high speed setting other than to scare myself!

To the OP, looks like a solid drill press, you should get plenty of use out of that.

Yes I had plans to improve the WT but life and projects.. you know how it is
-M

Back