1982 Lada Niva

After couple of awful days of having health issues, i got back on my feet and brought the little niva in the garage for an ignition upgrade/fix. And after just looking around i don't like how the factory had placed the components, i'm sure they had a reason but i don't see it. I'll be changing the placement on couple of the components so the supplied wiring will reach also i'll be keeping them as high and dry in the engine bay as i can so it can work when off roading. Started with removing the old spark plugs, and reading them. To my eyes they look well, obviously cylinders 2 and 4 are running richer than the rest can't imagine why. And that is when my phone started ringing so i had to drop working on it and go do other people's job but i'll be back to finish the job probably tomorrow if my health doesn't act up again.
IMG_20191211_150058.jpg

Today i continued with changing the ignition system on the little niva. Most time consuming task was setting the engine on TDC and from there i pop of the distributor cap and found almost 1/2" of free play in the shaft, this distribution is really worn out, also there is no gasket on it. One nut and i pulled it out, then i could look at it and i think i see why there is no advanced, someone installed the wrong thumb on it and it is hard against the weights not allowing them to move ( stupid mistake). Never the less the shaft length is correct so i installed an o'ring on the new electric distributor, and placed it correctly making sure the thumb to be pointing to No 1 terminal, i also did a bit of cleaning behind it, installed new washers and nut and tight it. Then i set the gaps on a new set of spark plugs at 0,6mm, and installed them. This gave a chance to use new to me russian spark plug wrench, it sure made for a Lada. Then i run a new plastic vacuum hose for the distributor, installed the new spark plug leads, they sure feel cheap i'll be changing them again. At this point it was way past midnight so i called it a day.
IMG_20191212_150558.jpgIMG_20191212_150536.jpgIMG_20191212_153634.jpgIMG_20191212_153858.jpgIMG_20191212_154133.jpgIMG_20191212_162833.jpg

Today i could not wait to finish work so i can get back to work on the little Niva. But i'm not rushing thru this install, i decided to place the ignition coil much higher and on the drivers side, i also placed the ignition module behind it this is the highest point i can place them also is the driest. Then i moved to waterproofing the connectors, i used row rubber to insulate the wires entering the connector and at the top and bottom of the rubber insulation, then i wrapped the entire wiring loom in the soft textile insulation. Then i secured the coil and ignition module and connected them all together. The little Niva fired right up with the new ignition, after a bit of setting i took on a short test drive, it seams to drive a bit crisper, but my RPM gauge is not working not sure why seems to jump around and could not tell is it pulling harder on higher rpm. Also the sound of the exhaust seems to have changed it is higher in note at idle then under load sounds like a big dog growling. I left it again in the garage and i may do a bit more troubleshooting tomorrow, i may start tomorrow on a cold engine by checking the valve lash and compression again, i'm getting that feeling i'm missing something obvious. If someone knows what can cause a tachometer not to work correctly only change is the ignition coil and the way is being fired.
IMG_20191212_162841.jpgIMG_20191212_163122.jpgIMG_20191212_163622.jpgIMG_20191213_183631.jpgIMG_20191213_183625.jpg

If I recall correctly, some of the old electric tack's were designed for points and wouldn't work with electronic ignition. Hope someone else chimes in.

Greg

You probably need to add a pull-up resistor 1kΩ to 10kΩ between your tach signal and 12v to convert the new tach signal to the old collector tach signal... But I don't know Lada, so you'll have to look into it for your car. It is a common issue on old cars with ignition upgrades.

I spent an entire evening working on the little Niva, With the engine cooled i removed the air cleaner valve cover and adjusted the valves, they seam a bit tight, not sure why, i also noticed the lobe in No2 intake camshaft had significant ware where it rides on the rocker the others are in OK shape. I also tidy the wiring and vacuum hoses, and took it on a test drive. From a cool engine it runs much better, now is drivable when cold as for high rpm it pulls cleanly but it seems to have a bad spark plug on higher rpm, i can feel it missing. Pontiac 428, do you have any diagram or a link how to wire up a resistor, i have a spare tachometer, i would like to try it, i looks like it has a week signal, anything over 1000 rpm it is showing somewhat correct.

There are a couple types of tach signals. Points are 0v float to ground (collector signal). Optical are 12v square wave. Hall effect is a/c. You can convert one to another with circuitry. To convert collector signal to square wave, use a pull up resistor to 12v ign. To go from hall to 12v square signal, use a variable reluctor from a GM HEI or other electronic ignition module to convert the signal. I don't know easy ways to go backwards to an old collector tach, though. Simple transistor would do it, but I am a better copycat than I am an electrical engineer. If you can read the signal with a meter or oscilloscope I could possibly help further.

Today after work i stopped by the parts store and bought the little Niva a new speedo cable. The one i installed was a bit too short and was stretched and stopped working, not sure i'll check did it snapped but it was for a sedan not a Niva and this new one is for an Niva. Funny how the sedan ones are half the price and only few inches shorter. It was a very long and hard day at work so i'll be installing it tomorrow.
IMG_20191217_150131.jpg

Today i spent some quality time on the little niva, Started with changing the speedo cable, it was easy on the little niva. The old one isn't broke but the spring cover has stretched and isn't making contact with the transfer case. I installed a different used speedo that tested accurate the original one was very optimistic. Then i remove the spark plugs and changed two of them that i suspected that are causing the misfire. Then i adjusted the carburetor, the LPG, also retarded the ignition a lot. The valves now are a bit noisy at idle. On my test drive it is pulling harder than ever and i have a full rev range. Now the little niva likes the cold weather and the heater works remarkably well. Speedo works fine, i also did a bit of wiring, i installed Oh s..t i'm board button, so i can lesson to the radio without the ignition on, Lada's do not have accessories point on the ignition lock.
IMG_20191218_192139.jpgIMG_20191218_200040.jpg

Back