1982 Lada Niva

I'm not surprised that is a Ford ad, they never make funny ads in europe. That one was probably made by the British. One funny car advert i remember from my childhood is for peugeot 206, and the one for Niva, i'll put links to them.
The SportKA commercial is indeed British....thier sense of humor is often......different......even for Canadians it often seems....well, weird.....

If i'm being honest, i drive like the lada driver, my brother is worse, he usually has cigaret in one hand his phone in the other and he is going way too fast, potholes, sidewalks, everything is for him to drive over. I'm surprised he doesn't get in more accidents, most of his accidents are in parking and turning around, probably because he uses his belly to turn the steering wheel.

If i'm being honest, i drive like the lada driver, my brother is worse, he usually has cigaret in one hand his phone in the other and he is going way too fast, potholes, sidewalks, everything is for him to drive over. I'm surprised he doesn't get in more accidents, most of his accidents are in parking and turning around, probably because he uses his belly to turn the steering wheel.
Oh my, that is not a good mental picture......

Today the little niva decided to have a problem. The clutch pedal stop reacting, i drove it home with no clutch, bang shifting it starting it in gear. Suspected the clutch cylinders, remove the upper one and rotated the seals. New Dot 4 fluid bleed the system, got the pedal back but i had to adjust it, i'm suspecting the clutch fork is bending. All in i had about an hour in the repair. The cylinders have 1981 date on them so they are original.
IMG_20230701_102412.jpgIMG_20230701_102443.jpg

We had a bad storm warning with hail so i did protected the glass on all the cars, most expensive ones in the garages, but that left only space for the little niva on the entrance halfway protected. The storm pass with very little hail but when i come by the little niva i could smell gasoline. An clicky clack fuel pump decided to leak out of the wires, and dump all my petrol. Becouse of the step inclime the fuel tank is higher then the pump and it all leak out. This car is mainly driven on propane but i always have more then half a tank of gasoline for when i run out of lpg. I removed the electric fuel pump now only mechanical one and closed the fuel system. I'll have to fill up with gasoline again just when i think everything is fixed on it
IMG_20230805_17345100000000000.jpgIMG_20230805_175723.jpgIMG_20230806_121151.jpgIMG_20230806_122550.jpg

The little niva's brakes have been becoming worse and worse as i've been driving it. Its come to the point where it can't look up the wheels at all no matter how hard i hit the pedal. I know i had a very small leak at one of the rear calipers and i bought new seals. Today i took it apart changed the seals, adjusted it and bleed the entire system. Still the pedal is spongy and is not braking well, only part that is still old is the master cylinder. Looking at it it's never been unbolted, so i presume it the original 41 year old part. I ask locally not replacement but i have a friend who can bring me one from russia, i'll ask around there should be one closer. I've not driven the little niva couple of week mainly because of the heat and no aircon but also because of the brakes and newly developed driveline vibration, probably a u joint. Some fixes needed before the winter begins.
IMG_20230818_112253.jpgIMG_20230818_112027.jpg

The little niva got a new brake master cylinder. I found me a new one, two cities over for 25$. There was a off brand one for 10$ but i got the OEM i don't want to do this job again. The one i took off looks like the factory cylinder bolts look like they've never been off, brake lines have been changed , i've changed few. First i bleed the cylinder then i attached the brake lines and bleed the brake calipers wheel by wheel from the furthest to the closest. Now the brakes are much better, i can feel the rears grab harder and it stops much faster. When the weather cools down i'll start to drive it much more.
IMG_20230901_195738.jpgIMG_20230902_115308.jpg

Back