1988 Hawk NT650 resto

Nice looking bike. Not my style but looks the part.
My m/cycling days are well over, probably around the time we stopped using real names for them (and cars)
Ahh, the good ole days of Bonnyvilles, thunderbirds, dominators, gold stars, black shadows etc. Even the Japanese had Ninjas and cobras and such like.
I bemoan the current regime of obscure letters and number combinations as if they are sku numbers from a parts catalogue of a hardware store.

Nice looking bike. Not my style but looks the part.
My m/cycling days are well over, probably around the time we stopped using real names for them (and cars)
Ahh, the good ole days of Bonnyvilles, thunderbirds, dominators, gold stars, black shadows etc. Even the Japanese had Ninjas and cobras and such like.
I bemoan the current regime of obscure letters and number combinations as if they are sku numbers from a parts catalogue of a hardware store.
Thanks!
Perhaps it will help to know that while it’s model designation was NT650, it was actually known as a Hawk. :D

I can’t find pictures of my two Triumphs a Bonny and a Tiger.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BSA Thunderbolt I used to ride was great, when it started, which was about 50% of the time.
Some days it would start and some days it simply wouldn't. Those old bikes were cool, but my first Japanese bike was
amazing: it started every time. :)

@Nogoingback I lusted after an 850 Commando for a long time but ultimately decided that I wanted a reliable bike.
Plus I love V-twins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alrighty, time to update this thread.
I’m about to tear into the Hawk.
Pulled the carbs last night because a) they were completely gummed up with prehistoric gasoline and b) I needed to pull the jets so I could figure out if I need to order a jet kit.
There is no air box and it has a Two Brothers crossover pipe and can.
Stock jets are too lean with this combination so bigger jets are a must.

What a mess inside the float bowls amd jets. No way could I read what but 20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner did wonders. Turns out the pilot jet is the correct size but the mains are too small.

874663055812f89f437f23d2a2460447.jpg

415f7beb12458fa945d457efd6bb9583.jpg

9b8acc1943261de68c99d6b78793799e.jpg

I pulled the header pipes off yesterday to clean them up and start figuring out how to mount up the exhaust can.
It has a rare crossover pipe from a company called Hawk Connections. So the exhaust comes from the right side headers, makes a 90 deg bend uo and over the swing then up again exiting on the left side. The challenge is there's no where to mount the can. The previous owner had a piece of flat bar angling down from the rear signal bracket. You can make out on tmark on the old can where the strap went around the can.
I have a new Two Brothers exhaust can that I'll shorten to replace the can in the pic. I think a small tab about where the arrow points will put the mounting strap in a good spot.
hawk exhaust.jpg

So I mussed and fussed around with the crossover pipe and the can for a good hour the other day. I am not going to be able to make it work for my needs.
So I bit the proverbial bullet and ordered a new collector and can from Fuel in England. Super nice, family run company. Got an email the next day saying they were making the collector and hoped to have it out the next day. Asked if I wanted the centerstand stop on the collector. No thanks as I don't have a centerstand.
Also have jet kits and Unifilter pods on their way.

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 9.29.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 9.31.10 AM.png

Back