1st print with ABS, need tips

AlfromNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been getting good results with PLA, so decided to try Sunlu ABS. First test is basically a coin sized part. It seemed to be going well, altho watching it ti seemed like the material was balling up some. Then the part lost adhesion to the bed during the last few layers.

I don't have an enclosure for the printer, the room is in the mid-60's F but not drafty.
Plate temp: 95C
Nozzle: 240C

Suggestions for tweaks?
20230429_161302.jpg

Use glue stick or hairspray. Put a box over your printer. Make sure there's enough room for full motion. Add a light and a window if you need to, but don't peek inside until it's done. (Moving the box will create a draft). Turn off your fan (cooling) in the slicer.

HTH,

GsT

I run my plate at 110, nozzle in the 240-250 range. I also use an enclosure and you need to keep the fan completely off for the whole print.

with abs, getting your z offset bang on is also very important.

AbS REALLY doesn’t like drafts (even walking across the room can cause a lift or shrinkage) and it wants a stable temperature. The enclosure gives you that.

I use a tight brim to help keep the first layer a consistent temp.

my build plate is flat glass and I give it a light dust of cheap hairspray before a print.

But z-offset, z-offset, Z-OFFSET! Its critical with abs and first layer adhesion.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I guess I’ll work on an enclosure…

Like already mentioned, you need an enclosure.

Back