2"x72"belt Grinder

LJP

Active User
Registered
This is the beginning "frame" of a scratch built 2"x72" belt grinder. The 1/2" plate steel, as well as the 1" shaft material came from the scrap yard for .40 a pound. All the material was rusty, Evaporust worked well to clean it up. Have had the bearings for over 20 years, they are from a woodworking flap sander that has been taking up space in the attic. It came to me new, never used, and I never used it either. The motor in the background is a 2hp 3ph motor I plan to get a VFD for. More pictures to come.
Thanks for looking, LarryGrinder .JPG

Nice. I built one a couple of years ago they are very handy to have around.

It looks good so far, Larry. Belt grinders are wonderful things to have. I converted one of the Trick Tools 2x48 belt grinders made to mount on a bench grinder to a belt-driven grinder so I could change speed (mostly slow it down to make it less aggressive).

I built one several years ago based on the KMG machine. 2hp. 3ph. with a VFD. Awesome machine!

I'd never heard of KMG, Brian. They look very nicely built. Impressive.

I also built a KMG clone, am starting another one. They are that handy. You might want, actually you really want, to go to Ebay and look at DD work rest. Great idea.

A belt grinder is one of the handiest machines in the shop. I built one last summer, and use it all the time. Yours will be a little more "heavy duty" than mine! :grin:

GG

I do hope you plan using this as a build thread. I started a belt grinder build myself a few months ago, didn't get very far and had to do some other projects. I'll be watching this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back