2013 POTD Thread Archive

Went on 2 service calls, both of them low temp, and when I got back worked in the shop for a bit on a bearing housing for a shaker screen for my young bride. This is the pattern for the bearing housing. Got the OD turned and working on the ID now. Bearing OD is 130MM, housing is 50MM deep and 180MM across.

Patrick

photo-5.JPG

Made a set of soft jaws for one of my mills, my son welded a bike together for his uncle, moved a mill i gave to my buddy, watch some Keith Fenner you tube videos, drank some beer and cleaned the shop. It was a slow day.

Today I am going to drill and plumb my brewing tuns and boil kettles. Make a batch of Mai Bock home brew and continue cleaning my rats nest of a workshop. I swear I will never ever let it get like this ever again. It's the first time I let it get like this and it has taken me 3 years to get it cleaned up and straightened out to a point that the machines and stuff are just barely accesable. I got no excuse, I should have out everything away properly before I left for Iraq and I wouldn't be having such a mess to pick up now. I did leave the country in sort of a hurry, but that is still no excuse for being lazy for 3 years since I got back..... I know, I'm a toad and deserve a swift kick in the pants for letting it go so long.

Bob

for me, it's time to pay the rent, so to speak.

I setup the table saw, and other wood shop equipment, and am finishing up my wifes answer to Man-Ville, Girl-Towne is a 2nd story loft, over her work shop where she can escape, and ponder new jewelry designs. Today I finish up the rough cut hemlock walls, and install a light that's shaped like a branch with leaves. Then start on the book shelves

I just finished sweeping the floor. After i will clean and examine a thread micrometer i acquired today in the Flea
market for 20 euro.(Soviet origin). After, i might post a photo in the tools section

Ariscats

Day 2 of fabrication on a welding cart for my 110V Lincoln mig welder. It's made out of angle I've scrounged from old bed frames. I designed it to fit an Everlast PowerPro 205 (tig stick plasma) machine I'm saving up for.

Seems since I brought home and set up my new (to me) Jet mill all my projects have been woodworking. This weekend was no exception, finished making a lamp, got about halfway through another, and took a couple of hikes collecting raw materials for a couple more.

Dsc00021 reduced.jpg

Last edited:
No shop work-- did my taxes, fed,state and local. :banghead:

At least I don't have to pay extra but what a :headache:

Added tie downs in our new toy box for the Harley, sure do want that to fall

View attachment 51043

I got a chance to work on my bike light again after a long stretch building a closet. Yesterday I ordered a backside counterbore tool for the switch that will go in the hole in the back of the light head in the picture. Today I made the gland nut hole for the power cable. The gland nut with a short piece of cable is visible next to the switch hole.

Seems like most of the folks who post to this forum make or repair mechanical machines. My project is more of a box to house some electronics and optics. I guess if you want to stretch a point, I'm making a machine to throw photons. Or maybe it's just a fancy flashlight.

Walt

- - - Updated - - -

I was enslaved in the shop and kitchen today installing crown moulding on my kitchen cabinets. I've attached a picture of some of it - unstained and unfinished, but it is coming along. I have a new to me Black Diamond drill grinder and a lapping machine I'm itching to get at. Honestly I need to put the final touches on my cabinets before the weather turns too nice - but it is so easy to be distracted by new toys.
Michael

Nice work on the cabinets. The crown moulding is pretty, but the raised panel on the door is quality work. Those will last decades if treated with respect.

Walt

Back