2013 POTD Thread Archive

Charley ,your posting some pretty cool stuff. Keep it up, I'm enjoying them.

Thanks Phil, Our buddy Mark came by today and took me out to lunch, he also brought another small project. You gotta stop by sometime, we also need to start meeting (all of us local guys) at least once a month.

Isn't that location for the indicator likely to get slapped around if the chuck picks up some stringy chips? Not criticizing, just asking.

Cool project. That is also a nice chunk of bronze there as well. :thinking:

Jeff

I like the idea of having the dial close to you like that. Mine is at the back of the cross slide and can be hard to see, mine can be swung down out of the way though when you don't need it which i like. I had the same issue with the bolt head on my tangential holder and ground the head down so i could finish a job. Its been like that for months, i do have a plane to clean it up though. Ill be interested in seeing your solution Charlie.

Shawn
Shawn, I'm thinking about a countersunk washer and flat head bolt, Also the cutter can be raised a hair to help with clearance

Isn't that location for the indicator likely to get slapped around if the chuck picks up some stringy chips? Not criticizing, just asking.

The indicator clears the chuck pretty well in the farthest in position and I believe it will clear with the jaws out a fair amount so I don't think it will be an issue, at least I hope not:bitingnails:

Cool project. That is also a nice chunk of bronze there as well. :thinking:

Jeff
Brass I believe & I have a few more, there were some rather large pieces available 5 or 6 inch dia. 5 or 6 inches long but I couldn't afford them.

Made a poor mans DRO for the cross slide on my Logan lathe. Saw the idea a couple times in Home Shop Machinist and was displeased with a couple things on both of them so I devised my own plan. The first one had the indicator all the way to the rear making it hard to read, the second one had a rod going across the ways that would get in the way at some point. I made a sliding piece that attached to the cross slide that the indicator reads off of. I then made a mount for the indicator that mounts on the carriage, it has a slot in it where the indicator mounts that allows me to adjust the indicator 1 1/2" I tested it on a piece of brass rod I had and it is dead nuts. The indicator is a 1" travel which in reality gives me 2" capacity. Gonna mount another indicator on the ways (actually already have a mount made I think)

Facing off the 2" piece of brass I found that my locking screw head on my tangential tool holder protrudes out past the cutter and rubbed so I couldn't finish facing the part. I'll tackle that issue tomorrow.
Your exact setup wouldn't work for me as it would interfere with the face plate. I do think it's excellent work and may steal the concept for mounting on the tailstock side of my slide. The photo below is of my setup which uses magnets. Up side is that it works accurately and won't harm the DI if you forget and overtravel the slide. Down side is that when working with steel the chips really like to stick to it. It's also easy to lose your zero if you bump it.

magnetic xslide DI mount.JPG magnetic carriage DI mount.JPG

Your exact setup wouldn't work for me as it would interfere with the face plate. I do think it's excellent work and may steal the concept for mounting on the tailstock side of my slide. The photo below is of my setup which uses magnets. Up side is that it works accurately and won't harm the DI if you forget and overtravel the slide. Down side is that when working with steel the chips really like to stick to it. It's also easy to lose your zero if you bump it.

Cover the top side of your magnet with aluminum foil to keep the steel chips from sticking to it.

Back
Top Bottom