2014 POTD Thread Archive

Making some blocks with 96 holes to hold a type of pipette tip. Each hole gets 5 operations. Plastic worms everywhere! They fly as far as 15 feet. I even tried the old Bridgeport safety cover, but it actually doesn't come down far enough to do the job. We all sweep our own floors, right?

IMAG3448.jpg

Finished my wobbler engine.

This was my first engine build, hadn't even crossed my mind to build one until I was talking to the guy I bought my mill off and he mentioned "everybody builds a wobbler first" - didn't even know what a wobbler engine was. But is pricked my interest and after a bit of research I decided to go for it.

I have to admit it is actually embarrassing the amount of joy and satisfaction I got from getting something so pointless running for the first time today (and the subsequent 2 to 3 hours I left it running and just stood there admiring it). There is something so elegant in it's simplicity that I find magical. (OK everyone else probably thinks what an I ranting about but I had never considered model engineering until a couple of months ago so it is all new to me).

1.jpg2.jpg

It's based on Elmer's "Fancy" and modified to what I had in my scrap bin. Needs about 25 to 30 psi to operated - maybe down to 15 psi but not reliably (so not so efficient as some designs say they will operate down to 5 psi).
[video=youtube_share;zrSvFWmokO0]http://youtu.be/zrSvFWmokO0[/video]

Anyway I was happy as a pig in sh#$ this afternoon seeing it run for the first time. Now to break it down, tidy it up, remove the chuck marks, fix the paint scratches then reassemble and put it on a shelf.

Peter

1.jpg 2.jpg

nice job Peter
this is how it all begins, you do a simple design and the satisfaction of it working makes you want to do more and more.
Steve

Yes, I can do that. I think I saw that section after I posted it here.

Mark

Mark, would you care to post this up in members projects or something with a build log and more details?
It sure looks great

Cheers Phil

More timbers for the shed. The posts are done started on the beams.

IMG_1417.jpg

Greg

IMG_1417.jpg

Making some blocks with 96 holes to hold a type of pipette tip. Each hole gets 5 operations. Plastic worms everywhere! They fly as far as 15 feet. I even tried the old Bridgeport safety cover, but it actually doesn't come down far enough to do the job. We all sweep our own floors, right?

I made this setup with 2-1/2" Loc-Line to reduce the wayward swarf; particularly for milling plastics. I also have a smaller nozzle attachment (big crevice tool) that I use to get down close to the cutting tool. It doesn't catch it all, but sure reduces the problem.

VacPickup2.jpg

Ken

In looking at it now, maybe I should add another Loc-Line tube from the shop vac's exhaust to increase the cross-flow, blowing the swarf toward the pickup.

VacPickup2.jpg

This is a cool project! Are you cutting all the mortises by hand? I noticed a large chisel, or slick in one of the first pictures.

Im cutting the shallow pockets with a router, the mortises are 2 or 2 1/2 deep, they get roughed out with a 1 1/2 forester bit in a hand drill then chiseled out to size. Doesn't take that long once you get going at them.
The end cuts and some of the tenons are done with an table I made for an electric chainsaw.
IMG_0748.jpg
Not a quick way to frame a building but fun.

Greg

IMG_0748.jpg

Im cutting the shallow pockets with a router, the mortises are 2 or 2 1/2 deep, they get roughed out with a 1 1/2 forester bit in a hand drill then chiseled out to size. Doesn't take that long once you get going at them.
The end cuts and some of the tenons are done with an table I made for an electric chainsaw.
View attachment 84401
Not a quick way to frame a building but fun.

Greg

That is cool!!

Back