2014 POTD Thread Archive

Finally finished the backplate to mount a 6.25" chuck on my 8" RT. Well, I still need to make some T-nuts & then I'm done.

Started with an 8" blank backplate from Grizzly (SouthBend branded "fine grain" CI).

Img_9801.jpg

Took sometime to rough it out as it was thick & 1/4" oversized (Ø)

Img_9812.jpg

Img_9810.jpg

I hate machining cast iron. Anytime I machine a lot of CI (or Ti) is when I really take the time to clean up after.

Img_9831.jpg

Bolt circles made easy, can't get any easier than with my ES-12's graphical display. Well I do have a SS.

Img_9837.jpg

Img_9862.jpg

Img_9859.jpg

Img_9898.jpg

Img_9887.jpg

Img_9908.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

Img_9801.jpg

Img_9812.jpg

Img_9810.jpg

Img_9831.jpg

Img_9837.jpg

Img_9862.jpg

Img_9859.jpg

Img_9898.jpg

Img_9887.jpg

Img_9908.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

So this is the start of a new project. Getting my buddy's lathe up and running. It's missing the leadscrew and who knows what else. :bitingnails:

51tv48s9.bmp.jpg

51tv48s9.bmp.jpg

Finally finished the backplate to mount a 6.25" chuck on my 8" RT. Well, I still need to make some T-nuts & then I'm done.

Started with an 8" blank backplate from Grizzly (SouthBend branded "fine grain" CI).

Img_9801.jpg
How are you holding the backplate in the chuck? Double-faced tape? It looks like the rear register would not have enough depth for the chuck to grab. One of the problems I have turning disks is figuring out how to hold the work in the lathe. I guess a mandrel or expanding arbor would be one way to go, but they can get expensive real quickly.

Img_9801.jpg

Part 2 is about removing the spindle (again) so I can put on a new belt.

fi9pgg6b.bmp.jpg

fi9pgg6b.bmp.jpg

How are you holding the backplate in the chuck? Double-faced tape? It looks like the rear register would not have enough depth for the chuck to grab. One of the problems I have turning disks is figuring out how to hold the work in the lathe. I guess a mandrel or expanding arbor would be one way to go, but they can get expensive real quickly.

The blank already had a short register on it. It wasn't that much of a register but plenty enough for me to hold the blank securely. I do use double sided tape for some small things, nothing this large, it was much too heavy for that. Holding with that register, I faced it flat, trued up the bore, & turned down the OD to size. Then I flipped it, machined to thickness & machined the register that I needed.

Got the rafters and sheeting on. Maybe the steel tomorrow.
IMG_1449.jpg
The tractor is going to like some shelter from the elements.

Greg

IMG_1449.jpg

Re: POTD - Repairing a Broken Carbide Burr

This was a brand new carbide burr that I damaged doing this project: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...our-Shop-Today?p=233001&viewfull=1#post233001
:bawling:
IMG_0321.jpg

How to fix it.:thinking: I decided to try friction brazing first.

First I made a nipple that that I could ''bore'' with the burr. I needed a way to hold it on center, and keep it from turning for the next operation

IMG_0341.jpg

A closeup of the burr
IMG_0342.jpg

I chucked it up in a collet. I'm not worried about damaging a cheap Chinese collet, they are expendable in my book. But it didn't spin, so no collet damage.
IMG_0343.jpg

Next bore into the nipple I made out of a HF air fitting I had laying around. ( I replaced all of my leaky HF air fittings with good ones)

IMG_0345.jpg

Next I tried to friction braze the assembly back together. I spun the lathe up to 1200, and started working the tailstock in, but it just wasn't stable enough and I couldn't put enough pressure on it to get hot enough to stick. So that didn't work.
:think1:
IMG_0347.jpg

On to plan B, brazing the two pieces back together. Since I still had the two pieces captured on center, this was pretty easy. I just extended the shaft out so I wouldn't heat the collet. Then I ''tinned'' both pieces with brass. I would have rather used nickle-bronze, but I didn't have any, and I didn't feel like making a trip to the welding supply.
IMG_0350.jpg

Then I brought both pieces together, and applied pressure while heating. Once they joined, and bottomed out, I stopped heating. During the process the torch flame was in a more normal position, but I couldn't get a picture of that. I've always thought that machinists and mechanics should have been born with 3 or 4 arms.

IMG_0352.jpg

Let it cool in place for a few minutes with the pressure on.

Hey, it didn't fall off.
IMG_0355.jpg

Over to the disk sander to take off a couple of high spots of brass, then back to the lathe for a final polish.
IMG_0356.jpg

And there it is, good as new. :biggrin: I must be a hobby machinist because I only spent about an hour of shop time saving a $24 expendable tool. :nuts:
IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0345.jpg IMG_0347.jpg IMG_0350.jpg IMG_0352.jpg IMG_0354.jpg IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0356.jpg IMG_0358.jpg

Last edited:
Back