2014 POTD Thread Archive

My old GPS system and laptop died in my Jeep so I needed a new one. Went with a Microsoft Pharos system this time and Panasonic Toughbook to take the dust and abuse. Got the GPS mount made today from a old piece of 16gauge.

View attachment 90782

View attachment 90783

View attachment 90784

View attachment 90785
Nice work !!! Doesn't the Panasonic tablet have an internal GPS antenna ? Ive been using a Samsung tablet for a year and it seems to work fine . Dust is definitely a problem.

Here is my project of the day for the last two weeks, My wife overheard my son talking to his brother about a bench grinder, So I got busy and rebuilt this 1969 Dayton 1/2 HP 7" 3450 . Stripped 3 coats of battle ship gray then wire wheeled to bare metal. Primed with DP40 and painted with Concept with a left over color I already had. I replaced the motor bearings, start Capacitor, start switch, power cord, and rubber mounting feet. I reassembled with all stainless fasteners. I removed the original tag for painting and will have a new one made at the sporting good store as the original aluminium tag was horribly beat up. I put the drive screws in the hole to keep dirt out of the winding to I get a tag made. I bought a 7" 60 grit silicon carbide wheel and dressed it, and does it run smooth. Made a Aluminium bracket today and cut a piece of lexan for a eye guard. The right side will be for wire wheel and polishing buff. Hope he is thrilled at Christmas.

way to go Dad, would you be interested in adopting another son?

Took me 3 days to work through all 90 pages and I am gob smacked at what you guys are capable of. The possibilities of these machines, in experienced hands of course, seems endless.

Took me a week to read all 90 pages of this thread but was so worth it! So motivating!

It took me a while too. So once in a while I go back and scroll through the thread, just to keep the idea triggers active. Due to age and memory loss.. :think1:

Nice work !!! Doesn't the Panasonic tablet have an internal GPS antenna ? Ive been using a Samsung tablet for a year and it seems to work fine . Dust is definitely a problem.

It is a option. On the one I purchased it didnt have one of course! :)

Our daughter came home for Christmas so I thought I will a make a couple of items for her

This is child's play for you guys, but for a retired trigger monkey just learning how to use the machines it is satisfying. I've been doing a lot of turning, facing, drilling, and boring exercises on different materials as part of my lathe self training, and lately I started the familiarization exercises on the mill. The exercises I did previously were not tied to any specific end product, just making chips, until this time.

The fridge magnets were good training for drilling, and boring to specific dimension for the magnets to fit. I was so elated how the first one came out that when I slid the magnet in straight down, it entered the bored hole very slowly, like hydraulic effect. The problem was when I put epoxy at the bottom and had a little too much that I could not displace any of it through the wall of the hole. Had to remove some so the magnet can be flush with the bottom of the holder. I allowed 0.010 clearance for the JB Weld, but I misjudged the volume the JB occupied and put in there too much.

The hammers were another good training exercise for me. Using a 1/2 inch Brass bar stock, the reverse spindle rotation parting tool was used. On the mill I was able to use the edge finder to find the TDC of the hammer heads, then drilled and tapped the mounting hole 1/4x28, I was able to employ the parallels when clamping the hammer head. For the handle, using a live center, I turned down a section of a 3/8 SS rod and threaded one end and knurled the other. Well, scratched, more than knurl, my first attempt.

Using the 1/2 inch edge finder, it took a few attempts before I could repeatedly get it right. To get consistent results I resorted to using a LED flashlight mounted on my tripod shining on the edge finder at an angle so I can see the shadow on the back side of the vise. It was easier for me to see a steady shadow that watching the shiny wiggler gets steady. May not be the proper way use the edge finders, but got the job done, hope you guys can give me some tips on how to use these things effectively. Maybe I need to get one those LED edge indicators.

My biggest take away, for my first official projects is that I was able to apply the different aspects of machining in these little widgets and have finished products I can touch and feel.

Maybe I should have put this in the beginners section for they may not be viewed as projects worthy on this thread.

2z589ck.jpg

2z589ck.jpg

2z589ck.jpg

Look darn nice to me.. but I'm a just a newbie too. Thanks for you and your dad's service.

nice work. Isn't it fun to make stuff most others can not ?

Our daughter came home for Christmas so I thought I will a make a couple of items for her

This is child's play for you guys, but for a retired trigger monkey just learning how to use the machines it is satisfying. I've been doing a lot of turning, facing, drilling, and boring exercises on different materials as part of my lathe self training, and lately I started the familiarization exercises on the mill. The exercises I did previously were not tied to any specific end product, just making chips, until this time.

The fridge magnets were good training for drilling, and boring to specific dimension for the magnets to fit. I was so elated how the first one came out that when I slid the magnet in straight down, it entered the bored hole very slowly, like hydraulic effect. The problem was when I put epoxy at the bottom and had a little too much that I could not displace any of it through the wall of the hole. Had to remove some so the magnet can be flush with the bottom of the holder. I allowed 0.010 clearance for the JB Weld, but I misjudged the volume the JB occupied and put in there too much.

The hammers were another good training exercise for me. Using a 1/2 inch Brass bar stock, the reverse spindle rotation parting tool was used. On the mill I was able to use the edge finder to find the TDC of the hammer heads, then drilled and tapped the mounting hole 1/4x28, I was able to employ the parallels when clamping the hammer head. For the handle, using a live center, I turned down a section of a 3/8 SS rod and threaded one end and knurled the other. Well, scratched, more than knurl, my first attempt.

Using the 1/2 inch edge finder, it took a few attempts before I could repeatedly get it right. To get consistent results I resorted to using a LED flashlight mounted on my tripod shining on the edge finder at an angle so I can see the shadow on the back side of the vise. It was easier for me to see a steady shadow that watching the shiny wiggler gets steady. May not be the proper way use the edge finders, but got the job done, hope you guys can give me some tips on how to use these things effectively. Maybe I need to get one those LED edge indicators.

My biggest take away, for my first official projects is that I was able to apply the different aspects of machining in these little widgets and have finished products I can touch and feel.

Maybe I should have put this in the beginners section for they may not be viewed as projects worthy on this thread.

2z589ck.jpg

Nice work and VERY worthy of being here. Thank you for posting them.

Mark Frazier

2z589ck.jpg

2z589ck.jpg

To all responders and those who posted liking the thread, I Thank you all. I am quite flattered and encouraged by your kind words. For a total noobie in this unknown world to me, I am honored to be in your midst.

Back