2016 Chevy Volt codes

I want to thank all of you guys for helping me get a clue what was going on. As per Cadillac STS‘s direction I went to GM-volt and as usual had to wade through silly stuff but it was instructive. They wanted to make into something about the 12v battery(WTH) but it was just like has been laid out by Jake M. What I’d forgotten about was my wife who’s car it is works in a place that has fields close to it.

We came back from a 3wk vacation to find the Volt telling me it needed to the engine to run for 20min uninterrupted. As a lifelong CE guys this was a total WTH thing. So I opened the hood which automatically causes the engine to run and checked all fluids.

My total nightmare scenario was there. The hood insulation was chewed up on the pass side and stuff all over the engine. Obviously rodent damage. My past experience with rodent damage caused my heart to clench. We did the run into town and it gave me a good to go. That was April 2018. I kept waiting for mysterious random electrical mayehm but all seemed well. So i kind of forget unil reading though posts on volt and Jack M’s post. With my antiquated idea of cars I think of AC as just a luxury not necessary for operation of the vehicle. It was then I was enlightened to the fact that the AC is necessary for proper battery life. Whodathunk? But totally makes sense. So I made an appointment for the Chevy/Benz dealership we bought the car.

Like Jake M said, $200 to diagnose. Got a call back they had found a rodent nest and needed an additional 3hrs. Whatchagonnado? $800.01 but your truly sux at electrical. And don’t have a rack.. They were done when they said and the SO drove it home with no CEL. Hopefully got it but as one who hates blackbox tech I truly hope we’re good to go.

Last edited:
Obviously rodent damage. My past experience with rodent damage caused my heart to clench.

As soon as I saw "rodent", my heart clenched for you.... I'm glad to hear that went about as well as probably could with critter damage involved.

As soon as I saw "rodent", my heart clenched for you.... I'm glad to hear that went about as well as probably could with critter damage involved.
Thanks. In my book rodents and modern cars are two things that should never be anywhere close together. Only time will tell but seeing my fear of this whole thing made my wife start shopping for a new car.

IMHO I see no comparable replacement. Any suggestions?

The only way I found out about the Volt was from and episode of Jay Leno’s Garage when he was talking to the guy about the first Aptera. He said his daily driver was a Volt 1 series and said he drove it like a video game trying to squeeze the most range out of the battery possible. I had a helluva time finding one and only bumped into one of 4 they had gotten in at the local Chevy/MBZ dealer as we went in to see a MBZ B-class all electric they had.

No plugins have the EV range the Volt has and the vast majority are all SUV’s. I hate SUV’s on principle and SO is short and doubly hates them. Nothing gets anywhere close to the combined mileage period. I am soon to be 70 and this was my first American car. My metric for a good car is it’s reliable, cheap to drive and easy to service(change oil). And this car has been a good car in spades. I’m used to everything we like goes away but in this case I believe it’s GM’s fault. Not a single advertisement have I ever seen for the Volt and the most asked question I’ve gotten was “what’s a plug-in hybrid?” Even when I explained that for the first 50mi it runs like an electric car but then can run on the gas engine I got this totally puzzled look.

Back