2016 POTD Thread Archive

how do you mean David? with the collet chuck threaded onto the spindle or held in another chuck? threaded onto the spindle it should be as accurate as my spindle + any inaccuracies in the taper + any inaccuracies in the collets. probably a bit more than collets held in the spindle, everything else being equal, but has some other advantages - notably size range, spindle pass through and cost. this cost me $22 after a partial refund for the collets and a garage sale find for the wrench.

Thanks Matt , you have explained everything .
I like the idea of the spindle thread mounted collet device, that would increase my capacity tremendously.

Last edited:
I though I would post some pictures of the work that I'm doing on my new-old 15" Sheldon lathe that I bought a year ago. I'll post more of the repairs in the Sheldon Rockwell Logan section in a bit.DSCN3079.JPG Here I recondition the worm and made new bushings to replace the very worn one's that are being replaced. This is for the apron.
Ken

Made some turning tools with some used CCMT inserts I had laying around.
Something like this one.
I forgot to take some pics before I put them in some spare holders I had made last month. They use the shorter sides that you don't use on a regular tool because of how CCMT inserts are 80* angles.

upload_2016-1-10_22-1-4.png

Thanks Matt , you have explained everything .
I like the idea of the spindle thread mounted collet device, that would increase my capacity tremendously.

you're welcome David. The plus side of cutting the taper with the chuck mounted on the spindle is that, as long as you cut the right angle, the chuck should be as accurate as the collets can make it. It'll be my go to for any round thing 16mm or smaller :)

I fixed a plastic hairbrush.

My daughter came to me looking for some glue to fix a handle on her hairbrush. Looking at it, I knew glue wouldn't hold it. I said I'd buy her a new one, but she said it was her favorite. Her hair is quite long and thick and she's picky about her brushes.

So I drilled and tapped the head and the handle, took a short piece of threaded rod I had and glued it in.

She asked if it would hold.

For recycled die-cast aluminum, that worked out well for you.

Back