2016 POTD Thread Archive

I've been incredibly busy the last couple weeks. It's driving me nuts to not do anything I want to do in the shop. (But I did do some paid, monotonous work, so at least there's that.) And I have to stay off of this forum or I get REALLY itchy to do more, thanks to all of the inspiring work that is shared here. I have to finish the current projects first. I'm almost done with the drywall in the second half of my mother's home remodel project, and that's taking every bit of time I can find.

In the process of rewiring everything in the remodel (and with word getting out that I want brass, copper, aluminum, and lead for backyard metal casting) I ended up with a small mountain of wire taking up space in my shop waiting for me to strip it. It's to the point of getting in the way when I want to do anything in the shop, so it's time to strip it and melt it down.

Solid wire is easy (just run a knife or even vegetable peeler along the insulation, it glides along the wire and cuts the insulation and it peels right off). But stranded is harder.

I wondered if the method of running it between two steel rollers, cutting the insulation against the solid wire itself, might work if I dial in the pressure just right, using my bead roller if I could find an appropriate pair of dies and cobbled together a simple guide. I pulled it out, blew an inch or two of dust off, and realized the shearing dies were still installed. Hmm. I forgot about those. That would be even easier. I wouldn't even need to come up with any sort of guide. They're already on the dies.

Sure enough, it works great! I'll have to adjust for different gauge wire, but who cares? It works beautifully and I didn't have to fabricate ANYTHING. Since I store the proper hex keys with it I didn't even have to track down any tools.

I don't think I've ever gone out to the shop to do something and had it work this well or this fast. It's about time. :)

Image1468895802.318424.jpg

One other thing I did in the shop since I've been absent: a new latch plate mortise routing guide for the retail deadbolt displays I mentioned a while back. When the previous plywood version (which wasn't as precise as I wanted anyway) failed I went ahead and made another out of aluminum. But I still don't have my mill here yet (have to make room first, but have to finish other things first...), so I did the layout in Dykem, drilled relief holes in the corners (5/8" guide bearing on the router bit so it won't get anywhere near the actual corner), cut out the bulk with a jigsaw that should have been thrown out ages ago, and then filed it precisely to size. The opening is 1"x2.25", so it was very convenient to check the progress with a 1-2-3 block. It is as square in every direction as I can determine with my limited metrology equipment (and easily accurate enough for the application). It is screwed to an adjustable L-shape jig that allows me to clamp the jig to the workpiece leaving the entire top surface clear for the router, and to tweak it slightly to compensate for slight differences in material thickness (my planer leaves slightly more material in the center than at the edges, due to both the planer head and bed flexing almost imperceptibly) keeping the mortise centered.

I say all of this because I am rather proud of it. This is the most accurate work I've ever done with hand tools. And I quite enjoyed it. :)

Image1468896762.995496.jpg

snip

I don't think I've ever gone out to the shop to do something and had it work this well or this fast. It's about time. :)

So, I'm not the only one?

Things just take me longer than I predict, most of the time.

It's satisfying when the project goes smooth and quick.

The others are learning experiences. :D

Last edited:
Sorry, another wood project, its been too hot and humid to open the machine shop doors to get at the wood processor so I finally tackled screening in the veranda. This has been on the list for years. Now have a piece of heaven where I can sit with no mosquitos.
KIMG0024.jpg

KIMG0023.jpg

Greg

Not machining, but I decided to finally tidy up me spanner drawer over the past weekend.
I had a couple of Snap-on spanner organisers so I made up some boards, gave them a coat of paint, stuck the Snap-on bits of plastic on and printer up some labels.

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

Much more organised - now I just have to find my 6mm spanner.

Last edited:
Sorry, another wood project, its been too hot and humid to open the machine shop doors to get at the wood processor so I finally tackled screening in the veranda. This has been on the list for years. Now have a piece of heaven where I can sit with no mosquitos.
KIMG0024.jpg

KIMG0023.jpg

Greg

Beautiful setting Greg.

Love the screened in porch, and if my eye's don't deceive me, a beer fridge against the wall. Heaven indeed. Mike

Back