2016 POTD Thread Archive

"Or a traditional restore I guess:"

This is my bike right here! Only mine is all rusty from my Holy Roof. I'll have to drag it out and take a snap shot of it. It used to be a pretty as this one, but no so anymore. Sadly.

Yamaha%20XV%20750%20virago%2084.jpg

I had a 1936 74 Cu in flathead Hog for a while, then the wife and children came along and safety ruled.

I have a new project associated with the rubber band airplanes, assembling the components into a winder (production, I gotta make five to start). The winder consists of a wooden handle, attached to two aluminum side plates which enclose a couple of gears, driven by an external handle and turning an external hook (for the rubber band). That's enough explanation. After drilling the [three different size holes, six of them in about 20 side plates] the next step is to insert the 7/16 OD bushing and the 5/16 OD bushing. the latter wouldn't go. The mikes came out and found out why, the hole was [sure enough] .3125, but the bushings, all 30 of them were .315, sintered oilite. Here's the problem.
Problem.jpg

As you can see, it won't go in the hole. I thought about reaming the hole, but I don't have an expansion 5/16 reamer, so the next best thing is to re-turn the bushing. Right. that flange won't take clamping on, hmm. how about an arbor. I found a piece of mystery steel rod, well more wire, it wasn't at all straight. about .145 OD. I cut a inch and a half of it and put it in the 1/8 collet in my Ames turret lathe. Turned it down to .125 (the ID of the bushing, ran a 5/40 die on it and found a washer with a 1/8 ID. Here's the arbor.
Arbor.jpg
I had to make the nut, a piece of 1/8 flat 1018, drilled and tapped, and hack sawed out. I really hate working tiny things, and I was trained as a toolmaker, we only make one off. If we make two, it's because the first one was wrong. And I've got 30 of the bushings to reduce.

Here's the arbor in the collet.

Arbor in collet.jpg

And here's the process, before and after being turned. I had problems holding size, starting at .315, I could get .313 with no trouble, but it wouldn't go down to .3125. Not without going under. I guess I can push that .0005 into the side plates.
4 bushing.jpg
If it weren't for bad luck.......

Got my clamp style knurling tool done tonight.
Took it for a spin on some CRS with some straight knurls I got from LMS on my last order when I got the back plate for the new chuck.
Works great and no side force on the spindle now.

upload_2016-2-23_22-1-25.png

upload_2016-2-23_22-3-32.png

Roadie, it looks like you can get a pretty good spread on those arms there. What's the maximum diameter you can knurl with that setup?

From Zero to 3.5" It will go wider but would be pushing and not clamping.
I made it adjustable to 2 sizes Where it's at on the lower holes it can clamp 2"
On the outer holes it will clamp 3.5" Max.
I found the plans somewhere online and adapted to fit the sizes of material I had on hand.

Nice job on that. Did you purchase the wheels for it, and if so where did you procure them? Thanks, Mike

I got 4 sets of knurl wheels from Little Machine shop. 2 straight and 2 diamond type. Fine and Course

Back