2017 POTD Thread Archive

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
Knocked out some anti rotational spears for a hay fork.
0d31fedadbd2f58c1c6f152c7497d700.jpg
I beveled the other end for better weld penetration too.
10e8a973ab2ef7c0501c7cc87c61884c.jpg
I've had more to do as friends realize the capabilities of my shop!

Nice job on that Bruce. Like the drain cap reassignment. Mike
Thanks Mike,

More of a case of a blind squirrel finding a nut than planning on my part. I was going through my metal/plastic "chucks" and was first planning on turning/milling a couple of pieces of 3/8" thick clear Lexan. We'll see how it holds up, if it starts slipping off the mill head as things heat up or the PVC stretches, I'll put a hose clamp around it to secure it in place.

Bruce

Hey BG nice job on lights!do yo have a link for the led bulbs you used?
Thanks

Hey BG nice job on lights!do yo have a link for the led bulbs you used?
Thanks
Hi Junk Iron,

I bought them from eBay seller "yitamotor". Here's a page from the listing. Many, many sellers of them. I did a search for "100mm LED angle eyes" from US locations only. Do a sort for lowest price with shipping. There are ones available for around $5 with shipping but they don't have a plastic lens over the LED's.

Bruce

upload_2017-1-1_21-3-1.png

Slow down!

I have ordered them from multiple sellers (on Amazon) only to find that the measurements are sometimes not very accurate and some times WAY off. If anyone has a use for some that are only 90-95 mm ID then I can hook you up. :)

ef3cddc56638d44b8ebce0af6ef3f437.jpg

Finished up the ON/OFF switch for the HALO light on my mill spindle. Plan was to make a switch bracket which would be screwed to the mill's DRO arm. Used a piece of stainless steel sheet metal for the blank. Notched the upper corners in prep of folding flanges on the sides (for stiffness) and top (for a friendly edge). Did the notching with a Woodward Fab 6" notcher. Punched a pair of holes near the bottom for screwing to the DRO arm, third hole up top for the switch itself. Bit of overkill on my part, but I letter punched "ON" and "OFF" on the plate. Held the blank between an aluminum bar and a block of steel. Letter punches were held to the aluminum to maintain a straight line. Folded the sides and top using a Diacro 24" brake. Soldered the switch in line with the transformer and drilled a couple of holes in the DRO arm for mounting the bracket.

Bruce

20170101_121927.jpg 20170101_122059.jpg 20170101_122953.jpg 20170101_123239.jpg 20170101_131455.jpg

For years I have been using Sterilite type drawers for all sorts of light duty tools and materials, like soldering iron and consumables, speaker wires, precision screwdrivers, cable connectors & crimpers, computer cables and adapters, and MUCH more. I thought about getting bigger sets with more shallow drawers to make it easier to find stuff, but it was going to be over $60 for the flimsy, plastic drawers. Ouch! Instead I found a set of Craftsman tool chests (cheap construction, with cheap ball bearing glides, but still WAY better than plastic drawers) for $75 from a facebook tool classifieds group. And my mother upgraded her metal lateral file cabinet to a nicer wood one, so she was getting rid of the lateral cabinet. Makes a great base for the tool chests and storage for larger items for me!

IMG_20170101_193004_911.jpg

Now I have a "real" tool box for all of my indoor projects right next to the desk where I work on them. I've never had sufficient storage or organization there, so this is basically huge for me. :)

I picked up a few of the 4' lateral cabinets that hang on Herman-Miller walls in offices. Picked them up from State Surplus.
They work great for storage and are very heavy duty. I used the heavy duty shelf standards from Menards and they mount right on them.

Here is a short video of "Redwing Minn.. 1/5 scale " hit and miss engine" I started back in 2014. This is the first run of 33 minutes. Nice castings from PM Research.
First one I built, there were times I thought I bit off more than I could chew for the first one. Apologize for the not so good video.

Attachments

• IMG_0800.MOV
    24.4 MB · Views: 39
Back