2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been planning to buy a bench grinder and learn to grind HSS tools. Today I finally found one on CL at a price I'm happy with: it's a 3/4 HP with
8" wheels. The guy selling it has a business doing drive line work on heavy trucks, so I asked if he had any brake drums that I could use to make
stands for the grinder and my arbor press. He did, and gave them to me for free.

DSCF7289.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score on the tool box Bear. Pretty clean Fairlane you have there. Couldn't quite make out what engine you have in the pickup. Always good to see another ford guy out there. Mike

Nice score on the tool box Bear. Pretty clean Fairlane you have there. Couldn't quite make out what engine you have in the pickup. Always good to see another ford guy out there. Mike

Its a 302 / AOD in the '51 F2... the Fairlane is a '64 4 door that my dad bought in '97 and gave to me in '01.

IMG_20150408_170850_556.jpg

-Bear

I just got home with this...

IMG950441.jpg

IMG950440.jpg

IMG950437.jpg

It seems to be in very good condition... and was very reasonably priced (at a little over what I estimate to be scrap price). It needs some cleaning, but the spindle is tight and smooth and the table moves smoothly in both directions.

-Bear

I'm going to buy... some Parker pen refills, and some cheap clip pens.

The text below is not about buying anything. Please disregard my rambling.

I want to try to make some home made pens to fit the Parker (or space pen) refills, and I need the cheap clicker pens for the springs. Then I want to make a couple "blank" refills for carbide tipped scribes. I'll use some broken 1/8" shank carbide end mills for that. I've made scribes before, but strictly fixed point solid body for around the shop.

Something along these lines:

Needed something to make the shop air dry for the blast cabinets. Been watching for a deal on a dryer of any sorts. Found this one last week and scarfed it up. It's over at the warehouse until I can get some stuff moved to get it in the garage. It's a heated desiccant style dryer with a filter column. I don't have the actual rating on it, but I believe it's 35 SCFM at 100 PSIG. The company sent me a copy of the manual, and will get me a parts list this next week when I can give them the serial numbers.

For sizing, the desiccant pair is almost 6' tall.

rsz_airdryer.jpg

Bought this miller CP200 wire feed welder for $350.00. Cleaned it up and made a base for it. I need to pick up a roll of .035” wire, a nozzle and some tips this week. Beats my old Lincoln SP180 with .023 wire1A337FB6-6EEA-4EB6-8EBC-1625A4637260.jpeg

Nice score on the welder. If you weld mostly 1/4" and larger, the .035 will serve you well, but I'd give .030 a try and see how you like it in comparison. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back