2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a bad boy , but my daughter's gave me $50. For Christmas , I've been wanting an R8 to ER32 collet adapter for my mill , well I bought a China one for about $24. So that's on the way and I bought my gran baby a harmonica so she can drive the wife crazy . I use to be ok playing one but nothing to Bragg about. But music needs practise so make it fun now. Next ill need some collets , I have an er32 with 2Morse for my atlas mill so they'll have dual purpose . I try to use what I can in as many ways as possible.

Great vise, I had one on my bench top mill and loved it. Perfect size. A great addition to that new vise is a speed handle.

I found that they didn't make a speed handle for this size mill but an even better solution if you have a welder is to cut a wrench in half and weld a ball on the end. I used ball bearings purchased off ebay but a cheaper solution is a hollow ball used to cap posts on metal fencing.

View attachment 226035
Great idea on the metal post cap !!!

What I bought today how about the last several days. I've been hunting for all the materials to build a RPC , Fuse block , fuses, magnetic contactor , on off button switches, start and run capacitors. Still need a wiring terminal block and a 5 hp three phase motor. But I picked up a manual start contactor to run the federal planer and a separate fuse box with switch . All these things get forgotten on ALOT of machinery installations. It's amazing how much the things cost even buying used on eBay if you figure the shipping cost. The 2 hp motor $22 .00 to buy it shipping $36.00 . It's hard on fixed income. If I hadn't sold some tools I couldn't even have started gathering these supplies. So no fancy pretty tools but these count to me..
Doctors going to do the epidural shot or shots on Tuesday , I'm really hoping. And praying they work and last for a long time . This being stuck in bed in pain has gone past being miserable .
My prayers for your pain relief !

Today i was in the area where there is an old flea market so i stopped by, usually there is only junk but managed to find couple of things first was this very very small lathe drive dog, then i found this green angle iron with a clamp to be clamped to a table, what i presumed is for shaping sheet metal should come in hand when making complicated carves, then i found one more old Reinland 2 oiler i've got one that i got few mounts ago and been needing one more, needs little cleaning but looks to be in good shape, and lastly i found this cast iron handwheel, its really heavy and has the quality solid feel to it, should come in handy with all the project i'm building, not a bad visit.
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0017.JPGDSC_0019.JPG

Hmmmm ... next year, buy her a set of drums :)
May wait a few years , seems there having trouble paying all there bills. So I guess there moving in with gran pop and Grammy for a few years to save down payment funds. We tried to steer them the right direction , but he's a mommas boy and the bought a condo near them. So no drums yet but I sure might later. Please pray for them and us too. Pop don't have money so they can't get more . We gave enough to help five years ago.

Don't remember if there is an existing thread like this. Many of you guys like to share your scores so let's try a new ongoing thread...

If your here chances are you love tools & always love to get new ones. This thread is not necessarily for gloating (well maybe) but you can if you want but expect to get a "you suck" compliment!

So what did you buy for the shop today (or recently)? No tool too small or too big, machines, equipment, inexpensive, expensive, good deal or not, whatever. All that matters is if you'd like to share your latest acquisition that put a smile on your face, post 'em up! And you know the drill, we love to see photos!

I have committed to buying a Starrett #344 6 ingh vernier height gauge found on craigslist Milwaukee. It comes in a hard black case (craigslist photo). It seems to be a discontinued model as far as I can tell. I'll pick it up today in an hour & 1/2. $40. This will be much nicer than using my Enco 18 inch unit.

I got some Christmas money and I have been limping along with not so accurate chucks for some time now. So I bought a new Shars 6" 3 jaw adjust true and back plate. This is the one with the 2 piece jaws. Looking forward to getting it mounted and on my lathe. They say it will do about .0005 TIR but any thing 1 to 2 thou real world be great.
CH

I got some Christmas money and I have been limping along with not so accurate chucks for some time now. So I bought a new Shars 6" 3 jaw adjust true and back plate. This is the one with the 2 piece jaws. Looking forward to getting it mounted and on my lathe. They say it will do about .0005 TIR but any thing 1 to 2 thou real world be great.
CH
With two pieces jaws you can make soft jaws, machine them to fit the part your turning and you get virtually zero runout.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back