Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been an ongoing problem for as long as there have been tape measures. Any competent carpenter knows to NEVER swap tapes between measuring and cutting. It can happen to machinists as well, but less likely since machinist's tools as a rule are calibrated.

It is was common practice when starting a job to check "calibration" of all users and helpers tapes to ensure accuracy. When purchasing a new tape, carry an old one you normally use with you so you can verify the new one before purchase.

I am was an electrician yet knew of this problem since beginning work early on. 1/4 inch error is not uncommon, I have seen close to 1/2 inch in my career. It does not matter as long as the same tape is used to both measure and cut. Old timers will be as particular about their tape as their saw. Neither was loaned, for any reason.

Simple way to catch this between two or more tapes, and choose which one to use.
Anything like a 6" or 12" metal scale. Hook the tape over it's end and read. Repeat with other tapes as required. Also put scale against a flat surface and measure with tape(s) again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back