220 single phase to 480 3 phase?

Took the windings to the motor shop. He said he "might" be able to locate and pull the star. He indicated that on that old of a motor being straight 440, it could have some other setup. I didn't quit follow what he said. He wasn't happy with the old cloth covered windings and made no garantee of success. He also said there was no garantee how long it would last in service. It showed signs of having been worked on before and the repairs were very brittle. It came down to, I could give him a bunch of money and it might work. I could also give him a bunch more money and get it rewound to 220. I opted for a rewind. It's going to cost about $500, but will be safer and be set up to run on the power I can provide, 220 3ph thru a vfd. Also figure if I have to sell it, it will be more desirable as a 220v unit and I can probably recover all my cost. I got it very cheap. The cost was about the same as a converter and transformer setup. Now to get busy on the restoration of the rest of it before the windings come back from the shop.

Recommend you find out the cost of rewinding for dual voltage. ALSO have him bring out all 12 leads.

Dan Bentler

And be sure to have him check out the bearings and get a cost to replace them. If they are standard bearings, the cost will be small since he will already have it apart. (Being that old, who knows?) Then, unless the shaft is damaged, it should be as good as a new Baldor grinder.

And be sure to have him check out the bearings and get a cost to replace them. If they are standard bearings, the cost will be small since he will already have it apart. (Being that old, who knows?) Then, unless the shaft is damaged, it should be as good as a new Baldor grinder.

I only gave the motor shop the windings. The rest of the parts I have in the shop. Already purchased the new bearings. $20 for the pair, MRC nos. Free shipping too :))

Leitmotif said:
Recommend you find out the cost of rewinding for dual voltage. ALSO have him bring out all 12 leads.

Dan Bentler

It won't have 12 leads, it's an English motor - 415v wired star, 240v delta, like almost all English / European (380/220v) motors. Some aren't rewirable for delta in place of star though, the motor in my lathe is 415v-only (3-speed, Dahlander wound for two of them, separate winding for the other) so I had to hack a 415v VFD to get the correct voltage from 240v single-phase...

The 415v motors made in England translate as 480v in the USA as they're pretty much V/Hz devices so require 480v at 60Hz compared to 400-ish at 50Hz, so applying 240v at 60Hz will cause a slight drop in power from the nameplate rating, otherwise they'll work just fine wired Delta.

Back