• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

24V AC to 12VDC converter issue

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

BFHammer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I posted a version of this question prior to the server crash and thought my problem was a bad converter but I got a new converter and still have the same issue so I’m posting again.

I'm trying to install a led halo light on my PM932 mill. I picked up the AC/DC converter below from amazon and wired the 24VAC inputs one directly from the tap off the 24V side of the transformer and one from the protected side of the breaker fed from the same source. Both showed approximately 24V AC on my meter with the mill power switch off. With the mill power switch on they both read approximately 20V AC.

Where I'm having the problem is that on the output terminals of the converter I am reading zero DC voltage. My assumption is that I had a bad converter so I ordered another converter from a separate source and still have the same result. I’ve double checked all the connections and even pulled both inputs directly from the transformer tap (#31) in case the breaker was causing an issue.

I’m doubtful that I got two bad converters and I’ve rechecked everything with a separate multimeter so I’ve come to the conclusion that it must be user error. Any help will be greatly appectiated - I don’t won’t to throw in the towel on this “simple” project but I’m ready to get me mill back together.

Thanks,
Mark
FE2B31EB-7156-4EB9-9189-32322E8D1607.jpeg
24DFBDC1-D0B1-466E-8AC5-A6F2CE057720.jpeg

jwmelvin

Registered
Registered
Did you disconnect the wires from the output of the converter to make sure they are not affecting the output?

BFHammer

Did you disconnect the wires from the output of the converter to make sure they are not affecting the output?
Yes. I checked directly to the terminals of the converter - no difference in results. Thanks

jwmelvin

Registered
Registered
Wait, you said you took 24VAC from (1) the transformer and (2) from the output of a breaker fed by the transformer. Is that correct? When you say they "both" showed 24VAC, do you mean the voltage between them or the voltage of each referenced to a third point. It sounds a bit like the latter rather than the former. You need the two wires feeding the converter to have 24VAC between them (or 16-28VAC between them, rather).

mksj

Active User
You would need to take power off from 30 and 31, otherwise try both sides of the power lamp. Otherwise one could use a universal 12VDC LED driver power supply that take something like 100-260VAC in and connect it to the power contactor.

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Also did you check the output for AC? I have noticed that some transformers say DC out, but I get AC out. Not sure why they claim DC out. They do work as intended, but it's quite odd. its like they are missing diode or Bridge rectifier.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Get “two” led halo lights and a diode. Hook them all up in series to your 24vac output. And call it a day! Good Luck…Dave

Edit: or, better yet, bridge rectifier with slightly different wiring.

JR49

Active User
I just used an old 12VDC output "wall wart" that I had from an old ?? (don't remember what). I wired it to the Halo light and plugged it into an outlet. Been working fine for years. I suppose if you don't have any 120V outlets nearby, you could solder wires to the wall wart blades and connect to a 120v source inside the mill electrical box. I never throw those wall warts away. Even all my kids know to never throw anything powered by a wall wart away, they all come to dad. Happy Machining, JR49

BFHammer

jwmelvin and mksj - hit the nail on the head. Problem solved and my electrical education continues.

Thanks!

Blackjackjacques

To eliminate interpretations, it would be very useful if you could sketch up a quick schematic of what you are connecting and how you are connecting. The converter says it can supply 12 VDC @1.5 amps - or 18 watts. Assuming that your connections are correct -- if your LED HALO lamp requires more power than 18 watts, it could be that you are demanding more from the converter than it could supply. Let's see a schematic sketch and identify the rating of the LED lamp.

mksj

Active User
Halo LED lamps draw about 300mA at 12VDC, the problem was that he was seeing the voltage drop in the AC but not connecting it to the other pole or what is shown on the schematic as the 0V or return AC tap on the transformer.

Glad you got it worked out, sometimes it can get a bit confusing, I also use a LoZ multimeter to eliminate measuring phantom/induction AC voltages.

wyodano

Swarf
Registered
I posted a version of this question prior to the server crash and thought my problem was a bad converter but I got a new converter and still have the same issue so I’m posting again.

I'm trying to install a led halo light on my PM932 mill. I picked up the AC/DC converter below from amazon and wired the 24VAC inputs one directly from the tap off the 24V side of the transformer and one from the protected side of the breaker fed from the same source. Both showed approximately 24V AC on my meter with the mill power switch off. With the mill power switch on they both read approximately 20V AC.

Where I'm having the problem is that on the output terminals of the converter I am reading zero DC voltage. My assumption is that I had a bad converter so I ordered another converter from a separate source and still have the same result. I’ve double checked all the connections and even pulled both inputs directly from the transformer tap (#31) in case the breaker was causing an issue.

I’m doubtful that I got two bad converters and I’ve rechecked everything with a separate multimeter so I’ve come to the conclusion that it must be user error. Any help will be greatly appectiated - I don’t won’t to throw in the towel on this “simple” project but I’m ready to get me mill back together.

Thanks,
Mark
View attachment 262728
View attachment 262727
I would un plug the ac/dc adapter and make sure there is 24 ac there then check the out put on the Freq setting of the meter ,,,,0 would be DC 120 cycles would mean yu need a small Cap. to flatten it out

[6]
[5] [7]