3 & 4 flute drill bits

iron man

Active User
Registered
I use to use 3 & 4 flute drill bits when I worked in a machine shop they really worked well and where fairly accurate you had to drill a pilot hole but after that they really cut nice almost a finish as nice as a reamer. So I asked a local vender if he could get me a set he looked at me with a blank stare I could tell he did not have a clue. I started to look for them on-line and much to my surprise I found nothing am I the only one in this world that has used these?? Ray

I used a Weldonite 3 flute CC endmill for counterboring once, it worked great and cut like a dream. Seems like sharpening a 4 flute drill by hand would be a nightmare getting all the grinds to the correct length.

I use to use 3 & 4 flute drill bits when I worked in a machine shop they really worked well and where fairly accurate you had to drill a pilot hole but after that they really cut nice almost a finish as nice as a reamer. So I asked a local vender if he could get me a set he looked at me with a blank stare I could tell he did not have a clue. I started to look for them on-line and much to my surprise I found nothing am I the only one in this world that has used these?? Ray

As I see it you are still the only one that has used or even seen them. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you. I'm not saying they do not exist. only that I have never seen or heard of one. For counter boring I use a counterbore.

"Billy G"

I have some of the drills your talking about I think they are reamers though ill try to find one and take a picture

There not reamers they are drill bits they really can get you out of trouble. Ray

When I was working in tool grinding we called them "Core Drills". We used an Oliver drill grinder to sharpen them and it was capable of sharpening 2, 3, and 4 flute drills. As I recall they were a bit tricky to get them set up right but after a few times of sharpening them you knew what to look for. Anyhow if you are looking for some try "core drills".
LaVern

Sorry I meant I thought mine were reamers. I have always used them as reamers mine have a small pilot on the tip but may be the type of drill you are talking about

If the pilot has no flutes and the body flutes look like an endmill what you have are Counterbores. The pilot follows the drilled hole to keep the C/Bore straight. They are not drills. See Below.

"Billy G"

mvtg7x8f2c5n0Nfq3ybb2aA.jpg

If I understand your description I've got a three-flute version of that. Looks much like an ordinary twist drill except that the tip is truncated (made that way, not ground off by someone) and a bit different from that on a twist drill. I recall reading about four-flute ones but I can't recall where.

Back