3" crimped wire wheel

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
20,000 RPM capable, 1/4" shank, what is the best brand? I have a face shield, and welding jacket on for the Chinese ones I got from Amazon. They shed pretty bad. I'm polishing the SS welds getting the heat coloring off

Last edited:
I got this one, doesn't shed wire at high RPM :

Don't know if they'll work well for you needs but they make encapsulated wire wheels. They're encapsulated with elastomer to help prevent the wires from flying.

Here's one.... I have no experience with this one or the brand, was just the 1st example that I found doing a quick search.
51uJbFg4SGL.jpg 71yXaHbk+FL._SX522_.jpg

For simple welds a wire wheel is fine. I have recently gone to electropolishing for more complex geometry.

Not my video! Just an example.

Robert

I've seen in videos, ThisOldTony I believe, where he uses a pickling solution to remove the color oxidation from stainless welds. Sounds like a toxic acid solution but it removes coloring without any abrading.

I did that with these gaffs after cleaning them up it did look better after a hot soak in citric acid, it's passivizing. I just learned about it here not too long ago, they use it for canning. :dunno:

Back